Monday, August 11, 2014

D'Noche Visited 8/9/2014 3.5 Forks

D'Noche 2710 N Milwaukee Ave., ChicagoIL 60647



Deanna and I hit up the red hot Logan Square area for dinner on Saturday night.  I was surprised at how much stuff had opened up on this street - tons of really cool bars and restaurants.  We originally tried to go to Revolution Brewery but they quoted us a 45 minute wait, so we walked around to see what the wait would be at some of the other restaurants.   When we got to Longman and Eagle they also quoted us 45 minutes.  By this time, we were both starving and didn't want to continue waiting any longer.  Deanna had remembered that there was this Cuban place nearby, so we went to go check it out.  Unfortunately, Cafe con Leche was more of an actual cafe than restaurant but next door to it was D'Noche and while it wasn't strictly Cuban, the adorable host at the door had convinced us enough about all the delicious sounding Latin/Mexican food they had that we were sold.

Luckily, they have a lovely yard in the back of the restaurant which was perfect for the gorgeous summer night.  They have a medley of a lot of different kinds of South American foods:  ceviche, empanadas, tamales, tacos, burritos, cuban sandwiches, chiles rellenos, etc.  Originally when I thought we were getting Cuban food, I had my heart set on a chicken dish, so I ended up opting for the Pollo en Mole Poblano ($15) and Deanna got the Chiles Rellenos ($15).   The pollo en mole poblano dish was 2 large pieces of grilled chicken covered in mole poblano sauce and served with Mexican rice and refried beans.  I was impressed with how large the dish was and even though it was served exactly how it was described on the menu, I was a bit let down at how it was presented.  You could barely see the pieces of chicken because there was so much mole sauce.  But none the less, the chicken was grilled quite well and as for the sauce, I actually could have used a bit more smokiness to the mole sauce.  But a combined bite of the rice, beans, chicken and sauce was quite pleasing to the palate.  It just felt like it needed a bit more than just the chicken breasts - maybe it would have been good to add some lettuce, tomato, cheese or sour cream.   I also tried Deanna's dish and holy crap was it spicy (but of course she only thought it was mildly spicy  - I am a spice wimp).  But it was a deliciously hot and flavorful combination of poblano peppers, cheese, and salsa.  If I could have taken the heat, I would have eaten the whole thing.

We ended up moving back to Longman and Eagle and The Owl for nightcaps, but I was happy to have discovered this low key joint.  While there seemed to be a plethora of other trendy hot restaurants nearby, I can see this place being a good back up option if you ever don't feel like waiting an hour for dinner.  Total bill: $ 30/pp with tax, tip and drinks

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: