Sunday, August 24, 2014

Meat Hook Sandwich Visited 8/22/2014 4 Forks

Meat Hook Sandwich 495 Lorimer St., WilliamsburgNY 11211



I usually don't write about take out places or sandwich places since they aren't really restaurants but my sandwich here was so freaking amazing that I had to have a entry for it.  It was possibly one of THE best sandwiches I've had in a really long time and the fact that it's a 10 minute walk from me is incredibly dangerous.  The only reason I may not gain 50 lbs and spend all my money there is that it's a pretty expensive sandwich.

First off, the place is from the owners of The Meat Hook which is a local butcher shop located inside The Brooklyn Kitchen.  I haven't actually bought anything from the shop before but only because I don't have a lot of reason to grill or cook a bunch of meat at home.  So the best way for me to experience their tasty product would be to get a sandwich from their sandwich shop.  It's a tiny shop with 2-3 high top tables.  They have about 5 sandwiches on the menu with one of them being a vegetarian option.  But you really need to come here for the meat based sandwiches.  Upon my first glance, I was a bit put off by the prices - $13 for a sandwich?!  But I figured I had to try one since I made the walk over here anyways.  I am a huge lover of roast beef so I got the roast beef sandwich which came with cheddar cheese, hash, lettuce, onion, and horseradish mayo all on a incredibly soft and delicious Italian sesame bread.  Holy Shit - it was one amazing sandwich.  For $13, you do get an incredibly large sandwich.  It could easily be split between two people and they really pile the sandwich high with roast beef.  The beef was mouth watering rare and moist and full of flavor.  The combination of it with the cheddar cheese and horseradish was perfect.  I also have to give a shout out to the bread which I read comes from the Sullivan Street Bakery.  It was the perfect hero/bread for a sandwich like this.  I don't like the bread that usually comes with hero like sandwiches because they tend to be crusty and too hard but this was pillowy and soft and a star on its own right.  I wanted to leave half of it for later but couldn't stop myself and ate the whole thing.  I was stuffed silly afterwards but yet still thinking about which sandwich I would try later. 

If it wasn't for the high price, I probably would have given this place a higher rating but foodwise, it was simply fantastic.  I can't speak highly enough about this place.  I can't wait to go back and try the roast pork or hot chicken sandwich.  Go hungry and go early as I hear that they do sometimes run out of certain sandwiches.  Total bill:  $13

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: