Monday, August 18, 2014

ViV Visited 8/16/2014 3.5 Forks

ViV 717 9th Ave., New YorkNY 10019



ViV is smack in the middle of Hell's Kitchen/Theater District and is among the sea of other mom and pop Thai places on 9th Ave.  ViV is a pretty solid and standard good Thai place that will most definitely satisfy your Thai craving.  I'll be honest, I would have never picked this place out if it wasn't for Michael's suggestion but I'm glad he did because it was a fun, quick and easy meal for a Saturday night.

The menu is your typical American style Thai food:  noodles, fried rice, stir fry and curry.   I love a good broad noodle so I was torn between getting the spicy khee-mao or the Sriracha noodle but then the more rational part of my brain took over and I remembered my awful spicy noodle experience when I was in Thailand and instead I totally wussed out and got the good ole standard Pad Thai with chicken ($11.95) and the table also split the edamame ($5) to start.  I should make a quick plug here for the specialty cocktails.  I got the Venus ($12) which was I can't remember what was exactly in it but there was vodka and chambord and it was super strong.  I made the mistake of having two and I was definitely feeling it by the time I got home later that night.

As for the food, everything was good - as you would expect from most of these Thai place on 9th Ave. It wasn't blow your socks off amazing but it was a very tasty and spot on pad thai.  The noodles were cooked well and it wasn't over sauced.  The sauce had the right amount of sweetness to it. I didn't try anyone else's dishes but both Anuja and Michael commented that they enjoyed their meal.

All in all, this is a cute and solid Thai place in a street crawling with other similar places.  I did like the decor here - it's a bit kitchy but it works for where it's located and with the overall feel of the place.  I would definitely recommend this place if you're near Times Square and looking for a quick, cheap place to eat before the theater as well just so you can avoid all the other awful places right on Broadway.  Total bill: $42/pp with tax, tip and drinks

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: