Friday, August 8, 2014

Parson's Chicken and Fish Visited 8/8/2014 3.5 Forks

Parson's Chicken and Fish   2952 W Armitage, Chicago, IL 60647





Just when I thought I had escaped the land of hipsterville by coming to Chicago,  I had dinner at a place that is possibly more hipster than any place I've been to in Williamsburg.  Everyone here had a beard, tons of tattoos  (apparently thigh tats are very in these days), and/or flannel shirts - but I still enjoyed myself here because of the fabulous patio, fun people watching and heart stopping fried chicken.  Plus it's owned by the people behind Longman and Eagle, one of my all time favorite restaurants in Chicago.  The only downside really was the fact that we waited over 30 minutes for our food, which I just find really unacceptable.  

When we first arrived we were told that a seat outside in the patio would be 1 1/2 hours, but we could sit inside immediately.   That was totally fine because we ended up going to the patio for drinks afterwards anyways.  The menu here is exactly what is sounds like, lots of fried chicken (in regular form and in sandwich form), fish fry, hush puppies and some other sides.  Surprisingly for vegetarians there were a few items that catered to them as well.   They are also famous for their alcoholic slushy drinks - I got the John Daly slushy but they also had a dark and stormy, "purple drink" and negroni version.  It's kind of cheesy but they are great summer time drinks.  For food, we started with the chickpea salad ($6) and I got the fried chicken sandwich ($10) and Deanna got the veggie club sandwich ($9).  The chickpea salad came out first and it was a nice refreshing salad of chickpeas, feta cheese, pea shoots, radish, sunflower seeds and herbs and all dressed with olive oil.  I really enjoyed this dish because it seemed so simple yet you could really taste all the different components of the salad.  Then we waited and waited and waited for our main food.  If I hadn't had the salad, I might of actually passed out from hunger.  That is probably why when my sandwich came out, I demolished the whole thing in probably 10 minutes.  It's a pretty hefty sandwich of a fried chicken thigh, cole slaw, American cheese, hot sauce, pickles and aioli mayo on a giant pretzel like bun.  There was a bit too bread for me - it had a Texas toast like quality to me and I just find bread like that too overhelming.  But the inside of the sandwich was heart stoppingly fantastic - a classic Southern sandwich.  I'm glad that it was served with housemade potato chips and not another round of cole slaw, not that I really needed anymore salt from the dish.  But it was just a very satisfying sandwich.  At this point I was totally full until the waitress mentioned that the pie of the day was key lime pie ($6)!  Yum - it nice and sour and the graham cracker crust was delicious.  It was served with a nice big helping of whip cream on top of it too.  

I had hit my limit on food at this point and we then happily stumbled on to the patio for one more round of drinks and people watching.  All in all, I really did enjoy my meal and drinks there and it really is a lovely place to hang when the weather is nice outside. I just wish it didn't take so freakin long for our food to get there.   It's in an "up and coming" part of the city but don't be discouraged by it because I was a ton of great looking restaurants on our walk over and judging by the long wait at Parson's already, the neighborhood might have already arrived.  Total bill:  $60 with tax, tip and drinks

Photo Credit:  Yelp 

No comments: