Monday, December 29, 2014

Grand Ferry Tavern Visited 12/22/2014 3 Forks

Grand Ferry Tavern 229 Kent Ave., BrooklynNY 11249



I should almost give this place 5 forks for having half price bottles of all wines on Mondays - always a pleasant surprise.  Jenn and I stopped by this place right before the holidays and we were given the best gift of being told that all bottles were 50% off - so we got a nice bottle of red for $20, which was a pretty good deal considering most of the wine ran $12-13/glass.  I had initially heard about this place from a work friend who works at Food and Wine Magazine and who also lives in the 'hood.  He had mentioned that the burgers were fantastic and Jenn and I are always up for a good burger.  Plus, how could I not trust someone who works for the most major food publication out there? 

The place was pretty deserted on the Monday before Christmas but it has a nice old tavern feel to it and the cozy menu matches the vibe with oysters, meat and cheese, plates, burgers, and pot pies. Instead of both of us getting the burger, we decided to split the burger ($15) and the clam roll ($19) just so that we were able to try 2 different things. 

I opted for the burger half first and it was quite the juicy burger.  It was incredibly moist and it was served with shelburne cheese (which is a Vermont Cheddar), tomato, pickled slaw and a side of fries. It wasn't quite a Spotted Pig burger but their flavor combination of the cheddar and the slaw was delicious and the bun did it's job by holding up its own despite all the juiciness of the 8 oz burger.  If both Jenn and I had gotten the burger, I might have given this place 4 forks but sadly the clam roll knocked this review down a bit.  It was oatmeal crusted whole belly ipwich clams with citrus fennel slaw and also another side of fries.  The roll was a bummer of a disappointment.  All I could taste was the oatmeal crust, I couldn't tell there were any clams inside of it.  Luckily my half of the burger was a pretty hefty half and I devoured my side of the fries as well - which were pretty crispy and salty - so I was pretty full by then.   Of course, since it was the holidays we opted to also get dessert and as most of you know,   I'm a giant sucker for chocolate bread pudding.  This one didn't blow me away either as it seems a bit dry and lacked any real sweetness or cravability to it.  

If the wine wasn't also half priced, I might have knocked this place down another half fork.  But this shouldn't sway you from not trying the burger as it was quite tasty and I would definitely go back on another Monday for burger and 1/2 priced wine.  They also apparently have oyster happy hour every day from 4-6pm and 11-1am where the oysters are also 1/2 price - so if you played your cards right you could end up with a great deal on Mondays.  

The motto on their menu says "Not fancy, just done right" and I would say they are half way there.  I should note that they also had a fantastic sounding cocktail menu - with a heavy emphasis on whiskey cocktails, which is another big plus in my book.  Definitely give this place a try but maybe just stick with the burger or other meat dishes.  Total bill with a bottle of wine:  $47/pp with tax and tip 

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: