Monday, December 29, 2014

B side visited 12/21/2014 4 Forks

B Side Pizza and Wine   370 W. 51st Street, New York, NY 10019




I was totally caught off guard by this place.  I was struck by how similar it was to Roberta's and dare I say that it might be just as good?  Granted I was about half a bottle of wine in and then split another bottle at dinner but the quality of the food was really fantastic and the staff was awesome.

They have a fairly basic menu of great seasonal salads and appetizers and then about 11 different kinds of thin crust brick oven pizzas.  Everything sounded delicious and the ingredients sounded fresh and local.  Kevin and I started with the burrata ($15) and the black kale salad ($10) and then we split the Meat Packing pizza ($19) because it had the most amount of meat ingredients on one pie.  In retrospect we totally could have gotten another pizza and there were more enough to choose from - I probably would have chosen The Muscles From because it had shaved Brussels sprouts on it.

The burrata came out first and it was fantastic.  It was a giant piece of moist cheesey goodness with delicious pieces of braised beets, oranges, and topped with white balsamic and chopped herbs.  It was almost a perfect beet and burrata salad.  Next came the kale salad and it was also fantastic.  It was finely chopped kale with pickled dried apricots, mint, almonds and pecorino.  Again, a very tasty salad - clean tasting and didn't have any of the toughness that kale can have.   I could have eaten both salads on my own but then I probably wouldn't have had room for the pizza, which would have made me sad.  The Meat Packing consisted of exactly what you would think: 4 different kinds of meat - bacon, sausage, pancetta and speck along with tomatoes and mozzarella.  All on a thin brick oven crust and it was one of the best thin crust pizzas I've had in a while.  It was incredibly flavorful and the ingredients tasted fresh and balanced.  We devoured the food in a matter of minutes and I was this close to getting dessert but thought better of it.

I was pleasantly surprised by this fantastic place that's so close to Times Square.  It definitely rivals Roberta's and for those of you who don't feel like making the trek to Bushwick, this is a pretty decent substitute in the city.  Total bill with a bottle of wine:  $60/pp with tax and tip

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: