Friday, January 16, 2015

Franklin Tap Visited 1/13/2015 3 Forks

Franklin Tap 325 S Franklin St., ChicagoIL 60606



What I love about the Midwest is how unpretentious and low key it can be.  I was in town for a business meeting and invited my client for lunch.  Instead of picking some fancy pants place, they chose a casual local pub that had tons of beer on tap, burgers and salads.  The place was packed (except for the tables around the door) with a local lunch time crowd.  As I mentioned the menu is classic comfort food and while my head was telling me to get a salad, my stomach told me to get a turkey burger, despite almost killing myself with the burger at Kuma's earlier in the week.  I got the Santa Fe burger with tater tots ($12) - which was a turkey burger with monterey jack cheese, pico de gallo, and chipotle mayo.   

It was a pretty solid burger although it kind of fell apart at the end of it.  From the description of the burger, I thought it was going to be packed with heat and flavor but surprisingly it needed something more do it - it almost felt like it was under-seasoned.  It was good enough for the type of place we were at, but obviously didn't measure up to the monster of a burger at Kuma's.  Meanwhile, the tater tots that came with the meal were excellent.  Super crispy and reminded me of school when we had them.  I could have eaten them all day along but it was probably better that I cut myself off at some point. 

I could see this place being a fun happy hour hang out after work given the beer and food menu.  It was actually nice to have a very casual low key lunch with clients and allowed both of us to let our guards down and just have non-stuffy work conversation.  I would recommend this place but only if you are not in a real hurry and obviously if you're not trying to necessarily impress a client or close a big deal.   Total bill for 3 people:  $60 with tax, tip and drinks. 

Photo credit:  Yelp  


No comments: