Friday, January 9, 2015

Sao Paulo, Brazil - Day 9 (Dec14, 2014) 3.5 Forks

Bar do ManeRua da Cantareira, 306 - 3.5 Forks



If there was one thing I was hell bent on eating in Sao Paulo, it was the famous mortadella sandwich. I saw it on an episode of No Reservations and immediately took note of it.  We didn't have much time in Sao Paulo at all -  which was fine because it's kind of a concrete jungle of a city that wasn't so interesting after spending time in beautiful Rio and Paraty.  But it is known to be a culinary wonderland, so I was a bit bummed that I wouldn't have time to eat at many, if any, places while I was there.

But I made it a priority to check out the Mercado Municipal because I am a huge sucker for large farmer's markets and this one is a doozy.  It's a huge space filled with dried cod, seafood, and exotic fresh fruit stands as well as lots of food stalls that are full of locals and tourists alike.  I'll be honest and say that I made a bee line for Bar do Mane without doing much research on the other options but I'm sure that any of the other places in the market also make a fine sandwich - and there are lots of options, so take your time and see what speaks to you.  Bar do Mane is on the 1st floor and you can't miss it with all the crowds.  They are known for their famous mortadella sandwich but they also have a bunch of other sandwich options if eating 1,000 pounds of hot meat isn't your thing.  You can order the sandwich hot or cold - I opted for hot.  When it first comes out, it doesn't seem so bad but once you start eating it your realize what a beast it is.  It comes with epic layers of thinly sliced mortadella (which is pork that tastes a bit like baloney) with a gooey hot layer of cheese sandwiched between a soft warmly toasted roll.  It is probably THE best hangover food you'll ever eat - too bad I wasn't really hung over despite drinking a ton the night before.  It's quite a salty sandwich, so be prepared to wash it down with either a cold beer or coke.  I could barely eat half of it and ended taking the other half back to the hotel.  It wasn't too great after it had been sitting out a bit but it helped to fill my stomach before a long red eye flight home.  It was seriously the only thing I ate in a 24 hour period because that's whole filling it is. 

While the sandwich might not be the most mind blowing thing ever, it is a classic dish that you should try at least once.  I loved the market - it was filled with lots of color and wonderful visuals of fruits you'll never see anywhere else - and is absolutely worth a stop even if you don't go to Bar do Mane.   Total bill:  $8 USD

No comments: