Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Uncle Julio's Visited 12/28/2014 2.5 Forks

Uncle Julio's 4870 Bethesda Ave., BethesdaMD 20814



When Elissa mentioned getting Huevos Rancheros for brunch in Bethesda, I was all in.  Mexican breakfast is one of my favorite type of meals and I didn't think Bethesda had a place that served it, so I was totally happy to check this place out.  Turns out I had been to this place before years ago when it was Rio Grande - I realized this has been a rotating Mexican chain restaurant my entire childhood but I was still curious. 

The space is huge and totally family friendly as it's got a lot of space and it's already very loud.  The brunch menu has a lot of great sounding options:  breakfast tacos, huevos rancheros, chilaquiles, migas, brunch quesadillas, along with their usual lunch menu.  Elissa and I both ended up getting the huevos rancheros with a side of carne asada ($17).  While you are waiting for your food, they serve you the typical chips and salsa and I must say that the chips were quite addictive.  They were light, thin and had the right amount of salt on it.  I could have sat there and eaten the whole basket of them. 

When our food came out, I could tell right off the bat that it wasn't going to be the most amazing or authentic huevos rancheros of my life.  But honestly, it was as expected from a large chain restaurant situated in the 'burbs near a bunch of families.  The 2 eggs over easy seemed really small and didn't really have the runny yoke that is so important to making eggs.  The dish just didn't seem very hearty or filling - it felt like they skimped on all of the ingredients because I had polished off most of the food fairly quickly.  It tasted like it was made quickly and with not a lot of super fresh ingredients.  But the one shining component of the dish was the carne asada.  It was surprisingly tender and quite flavorful.  Thank god we opted for the extra side of carne or else the meal would have been super sad and unsatisfying. 

I have a feeling that perhaps the regular lunch or dinner menu might be decent if you were looking for some quick Mexican food.  Not that NYC has that many authentic Mexican places, but you can sure bet that Bethesda doesn't at all.  Total bill:  $23.50/pp with tax, tip and drink

Photo Credit:  Yelp 

No comments: