Sunday, March 15, 2015

Bang Bang Pie Shop Visited 3/7/2015 3.5 Forks

Bang Bang Pie Shop 2051 N California Ave., ChicagoIL 60647



I had originally heard of Bang Bang Pie Shop because they supplied the pies for Parson's Chicken and Fish, so when Deanna mentioned that Bang Bang had their own stand alone shop, I figured it was worth visiting.  When you walk in, you realize it's not really a restaurant but more of a order at the counter type place.  They give you a number and then someone will deliver the food to you so there isn't really a waitstaff here.

The brunch menu consists of a variety of biscuit dishes, some pot pies and of course sweet dessert pies.  So don't come here looking for a healthy brunch.  I was a bit bummed that the biscuit dishes didn't come with any side dishes (you can order them separately), but once you actually finish a whole biscuit you realize that you don't really need more food.  I opted for the sausage biscuit ($5.50), Deanna got the gravy biscuit with an egg ($7.50) and we split a slice of the lemon cream pie ($5).

The design of the place is a bit unwieldy - it's super crowded and very hard to maneuver around.  It can actually feel quite claustrophobic in there at times because there's really nowhere for people to stand and wait (I think when it's nice outside and they open up the outside patio, it's not as bad). Having people order at the counter seems like a mistake here because everyone was asking questions about the menu (what's the best pie?  What's in the grits du jour?) and/or mulling over their options that it causes a long line to build up.

But once you order, the food came pretty quickly.  One look at the biscuit and I knew it was quite a dozy. On top of the ginger sage sausage patty was a melted slice of cheddar cheese and the biscuit came with a raspberry bourbon jam.  The salty sweetness of it all with the flakey buttery biscuit was delicious.  I wasn't hungover at all, but I could see this being an amazing hang over breakfast sandwich.  My only regret was that I didn't order the fried egg on top.  Although it was a great breakfast sandwich, it somehow didn't feel like I was really having brunch or enjoying a meal.  It was kind of like high end fast food because I was done eating in about 10 minutes.  While the price was right for it, I would have appreciated more of a full meal option or something that was more conducive to leisure eating.   As for the lemon cream pie, it tasted a bit more like a key lime pie but that's ok because I love key lime pies.  It was tart and sweet and crust was a very thick layer of Graham cracker crust.  The crust was actually a bit too much for me and I ended up just eating the filling and forgoing the crust.  It's a bit overpriced for $5 but I mean, how can you go to a pie shop and not order pie?!?

All in all, it's a cute place - just be prepared to wait in line and then fight the crowds for a table.  Oh and make sure you're wearing elastic waist band pants since you won't find a healthy or green vegetable in sight here.  Total bill:  $26 with tax, tip, coffee and juice

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: