Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Far East Visited 5/23/2015 3 Forks

Far East 5055 Nicholson Ln, Rockville, MD 20852



I'll keep this short and sweet.  It's a perfectly acceptable dim sum restaurant if you want no muss and no fuss.  When I go home, I typically go to the behemoth known as New Fortune.  That place is the size of a football field and push carts are everywhere but the food can be hit or miss.  Sometimes the food is barely warm and sometimes it's spot on.  Since I usually don't have a lot of time when I'm home, I stick to what I know but my dad suggested getting dim sum here and I figured it was worth a shot. 

The one positive I will say about this place is that it's way less crowded than New Fortune.  We easily got a table at 11AM and even as it approached noon, the place never got super crowded.  The decor here is seriously lacking though - I mean there is zero personality.  They do have push carts but they didn't seem as frequent as other places I've been to.  They have all the usual suspects here:  shumai, steamed shrimp dumplings, chicken's feet, turnip cake, sticky rice, etc, etc - all priced between $2.95-4.50 per dish.  The overall quality was pretty good - everything was warm, tasted like it should and it didn't look like the dishes sat on the carts all morning making the same rounds.  I noticed that they were constantly coming out of the kitchen with hot food which was re-assuring.  I did particularly enjoy the shrimp rich noodle crepe - this is my favorite dim sum dish and it was fresh tasting and the shrimp was nice and plump on the inside. 

All in all, this is totally fine place to go for dim sum in the MD area, although it does lack charm or character. New Fortune is kind of what you expect from a typical dim sum place - crowded, loud and overwhelming but if you're just down for some dumplings and want to be closer to Rockville than Gaithersburg than Far East is a totally acceptable alternative.   Total bill:  $60 for 4 people 

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: