Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Mission Rock Resort Visited 5/31/2015 3 Forks

Mission Rock Resort 817 Terry Francois BlvdSan FranciscoCA 94158



When we first pulled up to Mission Rock, I was like where the hell are we?  It's located in a rather isolated part of SF but once you walk in and go upstairs, you get some killer views and you come to appreciate it's slightly remote location.  Jenn, April, Krush and I got there on the early side, just in time for happy hour.  We sat outside on the upper deck and even though it was a bit chilly, it was still just really nice to sit outside by the water and enjoy the views. 

Happy hour (3-7pm) consisted of $1 oysters and drink specials.  But the rest of the menu sounded great as well - it was all seafood, which is obviously my favorite.  Unfortunately, I was still pretty full from gorging on breakfast at The Pork Store, so I wasn't all that hungry.  We started with a dozen oysters ($12) and the mussels and fries ($17).  Unlike my all time favorite oyster place, Maison Premiere, this place doesn't have a selection of oysters to choose from for happy hour - there was just 1 kind and unfortunately I didn't catch what kind they were.  I usually prefer West Coast oysters since they are more plumb and meaty but sadly these were the opposite - smaller and very thin.  They also didn't do a fab job of shucking them as I found a bunch of shell bits in a few of my oysters.  They weren't the worst  oysters I've had before but given how spoiled and slightly snobby I've become, I didn't feel compelled to order more of them even though they were only $1.  Moving on to the mussels, they also seemed a bit thin and skinny as well which was disappointing.  But the great thing about this dish was that it was cooked in a very buttery bacon, onion, Dijon cream sauce.  It was delicious with the fries.  After a few more rounds of drinks, we started to get a bit hungrier, so we ordered the Ahi Tuna Tartare ($18).  It was served with avocado, soy sauce, scallions, sriracha and wonton chips.  This dish redeemed this place a bit as it was a really solid fresh tuna dish.  This was a dish that I would have ordered more of. 

Overall, the Mission Rock was a really great place to relax, have a few happy hour drinks and some snacks.  While the food wasn't the best I've had in terms of either in SF or in the seafood realm, the general atmosphere and vibe was lovely and worth the trip, which is rather high praise for a 3 fork place.  Total bill:  $40/pp with tax, tip and drinks

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: