Sunday, June 7, 2015

The Front Porch Visited 5/30/2015 3.5 Forks

The Front Porch  65 29th St., San FranciscoCA 94110



When you think of San Francisco, one usually thinks of organic salads and other healthy foods.  But alas, places like The Front Porch also exist too.  It's a funky Southern divey restaurant in Bernal Heights with a menu you'd more likely find in New Orleans or somewhere less health conscious.  I met a bunch of my old high school and one college friend there while I was passing by SF.  

The menu has bunch of yummy sounding starters like deviled eggs with bacon bourbon jam, chicken gumbo,  crawfish hush puppies and frito pie.  We split an order of the mac and cheese ($7.50) for the table.  I had just come back from a gluttonous weekend of excessive eating and drinking so I didn't feel like I could dive into the bucket of fried chicken (no matter how much I wanted to).  So I opted for the shrimp and grits ($24) instead - even though grits aren't really super healthy, I figured it was better than eating fried food.  The mac and cheese came out first and it was a bit small (I guess it was a side order and not an entree) but it was gooey and cheesey like a mac and cheese should be.  It had a hint of jalapeño and heat to it as well.  As for our entrees, the shrimp and grits was served with andouille sausage and gravy.  There were several pieces of medium sized wild Louisiana gulf shrimp and they were cooked just right.  As for the grits, they were super buttery and garlic-y.  I think there may have used 50 cloves of garlic in it.  But it was creamy and paired really well with the shrimp and sausage.  I definitely enjoyed it and kind of wish there was more of it because I finished it quickly and still felt a bit hungry afterwards.  Jill did end up getting the fried chicken and it looked delicious and I would totally be game for it if I ever end up back here.   

For dessert, we all hovered around May's order of the beignets and I must say they were quite good. Warm, soft and sprinkled with lots of powdered sugar.  I'm glad someone had the common sense to order it.  

Overall, this place was a nice and pleasant and not what I expected from California.  It's kind of nice to know that you can still get a heart stopping Southern meal in a hippie town like SF if you want it. Total bill:  $54/pp with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: