Sunday, August 30, 2015

Mirai Sushi Visited 8/26/2015 4.5 Forks

Mirai Sushi 990 N Mies Van Der Rohe WayChicagoIL 60611



Sometimes you go to a place with not a lot of expectations and are pleasantly surprised - which is usually what happens to me.  But sometimes you go and you are like "WTF is happening,  this place is amazing, how the hell did I not know about this before?!!!"   And this is what happened to me with Mirai Sushi.  I was staying downtown in the Gold Coast for work and it's generally tourist central down there, so I wasn't expecting much -  especially when I was craving sushi.  I took a look at my favorite blog, The Infatuation, knowing that they recently launched a Chicago version and wouldn't you know, their highest rated sushi place was literally a 3 minute walk from where I was staying.   I did a quick cross reference on Yelp and while I wasn't 100% sold on it (I'm generally weary of any restaurant attached to a hotel and this one was connected to the Hilton), I was willing to take a gamble on a place that scored an 8.4 on the site.

The place is tiny with only 2-3 main tables that seated no more than 4 or 5 people and then the sushi bar that seated 6 people total.  I got a nice seat at the sushi bar and was ready for have some ok overpriced sushi. But what transpired was much more than ok sushi - it was totally top notch, high quality, almost but not quite Tanoshi level sushi.   The main sushi chef was super sweet and very kind - always an excellent way to start the meal.  The menu is basic and simple - it leans towards the authentic and traditional angle.   They have a few starters, hot plates, chef special rolls, chef specialities, a handful of traditional maki rolls,  and then the usual line up of a la carte sushi and sashimi choices.  I was hoping there would be some sort of sushi or sashimi combination I could order but I was able to cobble together an excellent meal regardless.  I started with the Mirai combination ($22 for sushi or $44 for sashimi), the special salmon roll ($16), and the yellowtail and scallion roll ($7).   The combo was 6 pieces of sushi:  lean tuna, medium fatty tuna, fatty tuna, 2 cuts of white fish and a piece of salmon.  Every bite was heavenly and delicious.   The fish was melt in your mouth and the rice was perfect - just a tad on the warm side but still soft and delicious.  The one terrible thing about eating sushi when you're starving is that it's never enough - you just want more and more.  I practically inhaled all 6 pieces in under 5 minutes which was a bit embarrassing as these are the types of meals you should really be slowly savoring.  Next they brought out the yellowtail and scallion - pretty basic roll but again very high quality fish and the seaweed and rice were the right texture and temperature.   At this point, I was scared that I wasn't ever going to be full from all this yummy food but luckily they brought out the special salmon roll and that ended up really filling me up.  I usually don't love rolls that have shrimp tempura or other cooked bites to it but I took a chance with this roll and I'm glad I did.  The special salmon roll is a panko crusted shrimp roll topped with soy marinated salmon sashimi with creamy wasabi tobiko sauce.  There were 6 fairly large cuts of this roll and it was super satisfying.  The shrimp was perfectly cooked and the creamy wasabi sauce was fantastic.  I should also give a shout out at this point about the actual wasabi - it was spot on and deadly here.  While I was pretty full and happy, I couldn't help but end my meal with my most favorite pieces of sushi:  uni.  It was $4.50 here and based on everything else I had eaten here, I figured it was worth a try and it was.  It was a perfect way to end the meal here.

My dinner here was such a pleasant and happy surprise although given the high rating it got from the Infatuation, I shouldn't really be surprised.   My only compliant was that the service was a bit confusing - this lovely woman started taking my order but then the sushi chef took another part of my order so I wasn't sure who I was supposed to be talking to.  I also noticed that the party next to me was eating a bunch of yummy looking stuff that wasn't on the menu like fish collar - I would have loved to have eaten that stuff too!  I noticed that they didn't have an omakase on the menu but maybe it's just for special regular customers?  It might be a bit hard for me to become a regular given that I have 700 miles away, but I would be more than happy to try to whenever I come to Chicago.  Total bill: $65 with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp

1 comment:

Dee said...

Next time you visit let's go to the original Mirai. It's not too far from my place!

I'm reading your old posts to come up with ideas for dinner. Don't judge me.