Sunday, August 30, 2015

Revolution Brewing Visited 8/25/2015 3 Forks

Revolution Brewing 2323 N Milwaukee Ave., ChicagoIL 60647


I had been wanting to go to Revolution Brewing for the past year since last time Deanna and I tried to go and it was over an hour wait.  Eric and I were in town for yet another client meeting and this seemed like a good place to check out and unwind away from the Downtown Chicago scene.  We were here on a late Tuesday night and we were quoted a 20 minute wait but luckily we were able to get a table relatively quickly.

The menu here is what you would expect from a pub/brewery - rich burgers, pizzas, chicken and steak.   While I've been trying to be good and stick to salads for my impending trip to Croatia, there's just something so wrong about coming to a pub and ordering a salad.  So I went all out and got the Smokehouse Burger ($14) which was a burger with pulled pork on top of it and the blue cheese potato salad while Eric and I also split the calamari ($9) to start since we were both starving and coming straight from the airport.  The calamari was light and crispy - the outside tasted more like it was baked vs. fried with oil which was greatly appreciate.   The burger came out quickly and it was quite the sight.  It was a pretty thick patty topped with pepper jack cheese and then piled on with Kansas City style pulled pork with a thick bun.  Very aggressive move on my part.  I couldn't justify eating the entire thing without feeling like a total glutton, so I took off the bun which honestly didn't look like anything too amazing.  The combination of the burger and pork was exactly what you would imagine - in your face overload of meat.  I ate about half of it before I threw in the towel, but mostly because the meat was incredibly salty.   It was definitely over-seasoned it to the point where I really felt dehydrated during and after the meal.  In the future, I would probably stick to a straight simple burger than to go with one that has a heaping of salty pulled pork on top of it.  The blue cheese potato salad was a nice twist to your typical potato salad but it was a bit too heavy on the mayo and not enough actual potato in it.  

Overall, I wasn't in love with the food but I did really enjoy their beer, especially the Rosa.  The place definitely has a nice neighborhood vibe and I can see how if you had a few more beers in there, that the food was really be super appealing.  It's the right menu for this type of place.  I guess I shouldn't have been so aggressive in my ordering when I had only had 1 beer in me.  Total bill:  $60 for 2 people with tip, tax and beers

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: