Sunday, October 4, 2015

Black Tap Craft Burgers and Beer Visited 9/16/2015 4.5 Forks

Black Tap Craft Burgers and Beer    529 Broome St., New YorkNY 10013



Holy shit, this place is ridiculously amazing.  How have I not been here before?  It's probably a good thing I haven't discovered it earlier because otherwise I would be massively overweight with a major cholesterol issue.  This places reminds of Kuma's Corner in Chicago with an awesome menu of delicious sounding "craft" burgers - only difference is that there are no heavy metal themes here but that doesn't matter here. 

The place is tiny and as Janet had texted me before I got there "is full of white guys" - it kind of felt like a frat house/bro hangout at first but later on there were a few other ladies who walked in. Anyways, the whole place is just one long bar counter and 4 narrow seats at the window.  We were jammed into the window seats but it turned out be great because you get a nice view of the outside and some more leg room.  The menu has about 10 "artisanal" burgers with meat ranging from regular beef patties, turkey burgers, steak burgers, bison burgers, lamb burger to a wagyu beef burger.  There is a vegetarian option which is the falafel burger that actually sounded delicious too because it had feta, humus and tahini sauce.  They also have burger salads for those of you looking to avoid carbs.   Genius! The menu is truly overwhelming because everything sounds mouth wateringly amazing - originally I was going to get the Californian which was a turkey burger with avocado, swiss and truffle mayo but Janet was not having any of this turkey burger nonsense, so I was switched over to The Old Fashioned ($16) which was a burger with crimini mushrooms, swiss, caramelized onions and horseradish.  Back in the day when I was a kid and went to Hamburger Hamlet, this was the kind of burger that was my go-to, so it brought back a lot of memories.  Janet got the Greg Norman ($18) which was wagyu beef, buttermilk dill, blue cheese and arugula - sounds awesome too, right?  

The burger came out and I was definitely happy that I went for the beef option (although I'm sure the turkey burger would have been great too).  It was a fucking masterpiece - the meat was perfectly pink, juicy and flavorful,  the bread was soft and delicious.  I loved everything about the burger and the fries were also finger licking good as well.  I probably shouldn't have eaten the entire thing but it was so hard not to.  They also have fantastic line up for shakes and old school beers and soda and I kicked off the fall with a lovely Pumpkin Ale from Brooklyn Brewery. 

The only thing I didn't love was how cramped it was in there but otherwise, it was the perfect meal to return to after being away from the US for a long time.  I also was a huge fan of the host/waiter - he was funny, bearded, tatted up and super friendly - just my type.  I will most definitely be back but for the sake of my health, I should spread it out to once a quarter at most.  Total bill with tip and tax:  $30/pp

Photo Credit:  Yelp 

No comments: