Thursday, October 22, 2015

Chalk Point Kitchen Visited 10/12/2015 3 Forks

Chalk Point Kitchen  527 Broome St., New YorkNY 10013


This is one of those reviews that I wish I could write differently given the circumstances but luckily this is definitely one of the rare 3 fork places where I could come back to again.   The first thing to mention is that this place is ADORABLE - it's made to look like a rustic country kitchen and it's got this cozy homey feel to it that just reeks of cuteness.  When we arrived Amy had said that the hostess mentioned that they were very short staffed (this is important to know) so we were prepared to wait a while.  Despite their transparency, the terrible service is what brought down this place's rating because it really was painful. 

But first to the good stuff about this place.  The menu is really diverse and delicious sounding - if you like the whole farm-to-table type/organic veggie friendly type of place.  There is a ton to share even if you aren't a vegetarian. While we knew that the service was slow, we didn't expect it to be this slow. I had to literally chase the waitress down after waiting at our table for 20 minutes of no one coming to take our order.  When someone did show up, Anuja, Amy and I split the creamy handmade burrata ($19), Thai lemongrass grilled gulf shrimp ($17), cauliflower gratin,  and roasted beet and goat cheese ($9). 

The burrata and beets came out first and rather quickly so I was pleasantly surprised by that.  The burrata was indeed creamy and delicious and served with juicy ripe heirloom tomatoes.  It's really incredibly hard to fuck up a simple refreshing dish like this.  It's one of my all time favorite summer dishes (I realize it's no longer summer but whatever) - frankly, it's a dish that great for any season. The beet and goat cheese was also solid as that's also a combination that's hard to get wrong.  Then we waited and waited and waited for our next round of food to come out.  It did look like there was only 1 waitress for the whole place and when I went to the bathroom I heard the cooks all yelling at each other that they needed to hurry up, so I did feel bad for being a bit impatient.  I am extremely empathetic to them being short staffed but this is where the owners needed to call for back up because it was really effecting the overall experience.  Finally the shrimp and cauliflower came out - the shrimp dish was quite delicious.  It was 4 very solid firm pieces of shrimp in a Thai lemongrass coconut curry broth and white rice - the curry was very flavorful and it tasted like something that you would get at a legit Thai restaurant.  The cauliflower was gratin style so it was chopped and baked with cheese in it - but it didn't seem creamy or thick enough - it veered on the thin and watery side.   

The dessert menu sounded amazing - the butterscotch pudding (my favorite) and the affogato being two dishes that stood out to me, but given that we had already been there for over 2 hours, we just couldn't deal with waiting to order anymore food.  I took a look at their brunch menu and it looked equally as delicious as the dinner menu, so despite being annoyed when I left,  I'm actually very interested in coming back.   I appreciated that they told us upfront that service was going to be an issue but it really did impact how we felt about our meal as we were all a bit grumpy by the end for having to wait such a long time.  Hopefully the next time I try this place, the service will have improved and I can bump this up to a 4 fork establishment.  Total bill:  $31.50/pp with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: