Friday, October 23, 2015

Wildair Visited 10/13/2015 4 Forks

Wildair 142 Orchard St., New YorkNY 10002


I have two words for you:  beef tartare.  Neel and I got this dish on a whim as we were really just here to catch up over 1 glass of wine and some nibbles but we were both blown away at how amazing this one dish was and it's solely responsible for the 4 forks here.  This place is less of a full blown restaurant (the menu consists of a handful of small plates) and more like a cute wine offshoot of Contra which is next door.

I met Neel here since he was a huge fan of their wine list and sommelier - I'm not a real oenophile but I do appreciate a good wine when I taste it and I liked how this place had a very large selection of really unique wines (they are more along the lines of organic/biodynamic wines).  We both couldn't stay very long but it's hard to go out and have wine without some snacks so we got the littleneck clams and a fava bean dish.  Of the two, the littleneck clam dish was my favorite.  It wasn't what I was expecting at all - it was pieces of freshly picked clams on top of toast with spinach and lardo.  It was incredibly unique and creative but yet still tasted incredible. We had actually asked for the check already when we both looked at each other and agreed in unison that we couldn't leave without trying the beef tartare.  I can see how some people are squeamish about eating raw cubes of beef but I swear to god, this dish will change your mind.  The beef is melt in your mouth and it's topped with smoked cheddar and mounds of fresh horseradish and crunchy chestnut for texture.  It's truly a fantastic dish and probably one of the best beef tartare dishes I've had in a really long time.  While I haven't been to Contra (it's been on my list for a while), if the food and wine at Wildair is any indication, it'll be quite spectacular meal.  Total bill:  $43/pp with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: