Saturday, October 24, 2015

Taro Sushi Visited 10/20/2015 4 Forks

Taro Sushi  244 Flatbush Ave., BrooklynNY 11217


Years ago when I lived in Park Slope the whole area around Flatbush Ave was pretty sketchy.  But now with the Barclay's Center in place, the surrounding area has completely exploded with tons of nice yuppified restaurants and shops.   Amy and I were in the 'hood for the Tidal Concert and instead of getting greasy concession stand food, we thought it would be better and tastier to get food outside of the Center.  I had heard of Taro before when I was living the area and they are well known for having a very top notch and affordable omakase so when Amy mentioned it, I was totally game to check it out.  Luckily, it's conveniently located 5-10 mins away from Barclays and its definitely worth the walk. 

We were both starving so we split the sashimi deluxe ($28), the spicy scallop roll ($6.50), fatty tuna and scallion roll ($6.00) and a mountain roll ($9) - as you can see the prices were extremely reasonable given the amount of food we ordered.  At those prices I wasn't sure if the quality would be all that but I was very impressed with the quality of the fish.  It tasted very simple yet was top notch and fresh - it's definitely some of the best neighborhood sushi I've had in a while.  The sashimi was 14 pieces of 6 different kinds of fish ranging from salmon, tuna, yellowtail, mackerel, and flounder as well as a pile of chopped fatty tuna with salmon roe on it.  The spicy scallop was a bit different than what I was used to - it wasn't one piece of raw scallop but the chopped up kind with the spice mixed it - I liked that it was a small tight roll with the seaweed on the outside.  The fatty tuna and scallion was also clean and simple and solid tasting.  The mountain roll got the name because they shape into a mountain or more precisely a pyramid - and it comes with spicy tuna, avocado, yellowtail and masago.  It was a bit heavy on the rice but apparently I was so hungry that I ended up ordering another order of this roll and inhaling the whole thing, so clearly the rice wasn't that big of a deal to me.  

Overall, it was a great pit stop before heading over the Barclay's Center.  It was a nice calm and quiet place to enjoy dinner before walking into a loud crazy concert.  I'm bummed that quaint affordable places like this doesn't exist where I live in BK, but if I still lived in Park Slope, I would most definitely be a frequent visitor of this place.  Total bill:  $100 for 2 people with tax, tip and 2 large bottles of sake

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: