Saturday, October 10, 2015

East Hampton Grill Visited 10/3/2015 4 Forks

East Hampton Grill  99 N Main St., East HamptonNY 11937


Ahh, the Hamptons.  I'm lucky enough to have a few good friends who have houses out there and it's always nice to duck out of the city and every once in a while.  It's even nicer when you visit during the off season (ie. not the summer) as the crowds really do thin out.  I was visiting Maggie and Adam with Jill to escape the "hurricane" (that never came).  Adam had mentioned that this place was his favorite restaurant in town and that it was part of the Hillstone Restaurant Group which we agreed despite being a chain that owns Houston's restaurant has really solid food. 

The vibe here was definitely on the older/local side - so none of that craziness you usually associate with the Hamptons.  It's also got a slightly old school, expensive vibe to it - which again, it's the Hamptons so you can't expect much less.  The menu is solid Americana - burgers, steaks, ribs, chicken and because we're by the water, several fish dishes.  We split the oysters St. Charles ($24) and heavenly biscuits ($6) to start and then since I wasn't starving, Jill and I split the Tuna Tartare ($27) and the special fish of the day which was a cod with mushroom vinaigrette, mashed potatoes and spinach ($36), Adam and Maggie split the BBQ ribs ($36) and house salad ($12).  As you can see, the prices are high and the cocktails/wine run about $16-20/glass, so be prepared for a bit of sticker shock when you eat here but it's honestly no different than any of the other nicer places in town. 

The oyster St. Charles were served fried with creamed spinach and artichoke on the half shell - delicious!  I still prefer a nice clean raw oyster but on occasion it is nice to have it spiced up with some creamed vegetables.  They were quite filling so I didn't actually get to try the biscuits but they looked amazing.   As I'm writing this, I'm actually super sad that I didn't at least have a bite of one because they looked warm and buttery.  

Despite being an appetizer, our tuna tartare was HUGE - it was definitely enough to split between 2 people.  It was a huge helping of hand chopped up tuna with tons of sliced avocado and a deviled egg.  The tuna was super fresh tasting although I could have used a pinch more of salt and a dash of sesame oil it, but overall it was a lovely clean dish.  The cod dish was nicely cooked with a creamy sauce of enoki type mushrooms on top - luckily the sauce was pretty light and not totally overwhelming. It paired nicely with the very smooth and buttery mashed potatoes.   There's just something so comforting and nice about mashed potatoes and spinach with either a meat or fish dish.  I also tried a bite of Adam's ribs and holy shit, they were incredible.  They literally fell clean off the bone with very little pull.  I was very impressed by them and can see why he orders it every time he's there. 

Even though we were all pretty full Adam mentioned that we had to order the chocolate sundae.  I'm usually not a huge ice sundae fan but since we were splitting 4 ways, I figured I would at least take a bite or two....or ten.  This was one of the most delicious sundaes I've ever had.  I don't know what made it so addictive but it was probably a combination of the fresh whip cream, warm chocolate sauce and candied nuts that got me.   As most of you know, I'm not a huge chocolate fan but this sauce was the great balance of not being too sweet or bitter.  If all chocolate was like this, I could definitely get on the band wagon.  We all left super full and happy - it was a lovely get away from the city and even though the prices can shock you here, you're just as likely to spend this much money in the city too. Total bill:  $95/pp with tax, tip and drinks

Photo Credit:  Yelp


No comments: