Friday, October 9, 2015

Seamore's Visited 10/1/2015 3 Forks

Seamore's  390 Broome St., New YorkNY 10013



Seamore's is one of those places that I really wanted to love.  It's seafood based (my favorite), it's casual and low key (yay!) and it's by the same people of The Meatball Shop (delicious!).  While I liked parts of my meal, I didn't leave feeling super wow'd and won over by - which was such a shame because Virgina and I were here to celebrate her very belated birthday. 

Despite getting there early on Thursday, the only seats we could get was at the bar, which I usually don't mind, but these seats were a bit too cramped and not super comfortable.  Plus it was so loud in there (don't I sound like an old lady?) in there that it was hard to hear VA even though we were practically sitting on top of each other. 

The menu itself sounded great - chock full of delicious sounding seafood:  fresh fish of the day, fish tacos, mussels, ceviche, and seafood sandwiches and burgers.  We decided to split the tuna poke ($13), crispy squid ($12), and I got the spiced tuna burger with sweet potato fries ($16) and VA got the crispy fish tacos ($15).   The poke and squid came out quickly - the squid was your typical fried calamari variety but the pieces/cuts of squid were really small - it was almost like it was a baby squid, so it was a bit unsatisfying in that regards.  But I will say that the citrus aioli was delicious and we kept that dipping sauce for my sweet potato fries.  As for the poke, for those of you who have read my blog long enough know that I am obsessed with poke, it is simply one of my favorite things in the world and you don't really see it very much in NYC, so I was really excited to see it on the menu here.  It was served with ponzu, peanut, avocado and cabbage.  The combination was was very tasty but I'm still a purist and prefer my poke with not a lot of fanfare.  While the peanut wasn't a bad addition, it was kind of a distraction to the tuna.  My tuna burger came out quickly but then VA had to wait a while for her fish tacos - I suspect they may have forgotten about it because they apologized for the delay when they finally brought it out.  Good tuna burgers are also one of my favorite seafood dishes - but I like it when they are more like a tuna steak.  Unfortunately this one was like a ground tuna patty and I just didn't taste the same.  In fact it didn't really taste like too much at all which was a super bummer.  Luckily, the sweet potato fries were excellent and were delicious with the aioli mayo. I didn't try the fish tacos but they looked to be a bit thick on the breading from what I could see.   

I know that by sitting at the bar you have to deal with the bartender also serving drinks and not being as attentive as a waiter would be, but I did feel a bit neglected sitting at the bar and since this was the only bar in the restaurant we were constantly being pushed up against people trying to get a drink while they waited for a table. 

By the time we left this place was hopping and filled up very quickly.  I can totally see the appeal and honestly because I love seafood so much, I would consider coming back and ordering something different but my 1st impression wasn't the most amazing one.  Total bill:  $92 for 2 people with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: