Friday, March 25, 2016

Hog Island Oyster Co Visited 3/15/2016 4.5 Forks

Hog Island Oyster Co  1 Ferry Bldg, San FranciscoCA 94111



Oh, Hog Island, how I love thee.  I've been here a few times before and I'm not sure why I've never blogged about it before.  While I know the Ferry Building is a bit touristy, it's still very popular with locals and it's still one of my go-to spots when I'm in SF.  It's just such a calming place for me and it's right by the water with gorgeous views of the Bay.  Hog Island might be my 2nd favorite oyster place behind Maison Premiere and it's a very close second.  

I stopped by the restaurant after the conference was over on Tuesday and got there right before the crowds really started to settle in.  I got a nice seat at the bar and was immediately torn about what to order.  I wasn't super hungry even though I could have easily eaten everything on the menu.  Even though I was on a corporate card, I couldn't really bring myself to go too crazy with the ordering.  I settled on 1/2 dozen bar mix of oysters ($20) and the steamers ($15).  I've always preferred West Coast oysters over East Coast oysters and this definitely confirmed my love for them.  I don't remember the exact types but they were all amazing - hearty, briny and delicious.  If they weren't so expensive here, I would have ordered another 2 dozen of them.  I was a bit surprised that they didn't have a Happy Hour special but I guess they get such great business that they don't really need it to bring in a crowd.  If you are in to oysters, definitely get the bar mix so that you can try a little bit of everything.  The steamers were also great - piled high with Manila clams, corona beans, fennel sausage, and leeks in a buttery white wine broth.   I was pleased with the amount of food in it given that I had opted not to get it with pasta.  The broth was such buttery goodness that I was sopping it all up with the crusty delicious bread that I was trying to stay away from but couldn't (it comes from next door - Acme Bread). 

Overall, this is the kind of place that has a spot place in my heart because it's super casual but serves amazingly fresh seafood at a price that isn't too hard to swallow.  Everyone there was super friendly and tourist place, be damned, it's totally worth it no matter if you are a local or a visitor.  Total bill:  $45 with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp 

No comments: