Sunday, June 12, 2016

Emily Visited 5/29/2016 3.5 Forks

Emily  919 Fulton St., BrooklynNY 11238



Ok, let's get this out of the way first.  Emily makes a god damn good burger - it's super moist and juicy and packed with a ton of flavor.   Make no mistake - if you get the burger, you will love it.  So why the 3.5 fork review?  It's unfathomable to me that this burger is almost $30 - well, $26 to be exact but when you factor in tax and tip, you're over $30.  How did we get to this point in life where a freakin burger costs $30?!

But I digress.  Emily has long been on my list of places to try but the horror stories of waiting 2+ hours isn't something I felt like dealing with much these days.  Luckily, Anuja and I were both in town for Memorial Day weekend and one of the bonuses of not having a house in the Hamptons is that the city clears out and places that normally would have long lines are much shorter.  Emily opens at 5pm and we got there around 5:30pm - the place was already packed but we were able to get 2 seats at the bar.  The menu consists of mostly pizza - red ones, white ones, pink (vodka sauce) ones and green (tomatillo) ones and of course the famous burger.  Anuja got one of the white pizzas ($22) while I got the burger.  Apparently they do run out of burgers if you don't get there early enough, so be warned. 

The food came out rather quickly and the burger was glorious looking - it was dry aged beef on a pretzel bun and covered with their special sauce, tons of caramelized onions, and cheddar cheese.  It's served with what Anuja and I called high end McDonald's fries (we mean that as a big compliment as they were incredibly addictive).  The burger is quite messy but the flavor profile was spot on.  I'm definitely happy that I tried it and maybe if an out-of-towner really wanted to try it, I would go back again but it's one of those things where I am happy enough to check the box and say that I've tried it.  The fries were skinny salty and if not careful, you can eat the entire tray of it before you know what hits you.  

I had a bite of Anuja's pizza and we both agreed that while it was good - we've both had better, especially at Roberta's.  It's a very similar to Roberta's in that it's a thin brick oven Neapolitan style pizza with fresh artisanal toppings.  But there's something about Roberta's that had a more positive impression on us or maybe we're just over this whole hipster pizza thing.

Is this place worth a visit? Yes.  Is it worth waiting 2 hours?  That I'm not sure about but if you find yourself looking for a place to try out over the summer and don't mind eating like a grandma at 5:30pm, then give it a try.  Total bill:  $36/pp with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: