Monday, August 15, 2016

Emmy Squared Visited 8/12/2016 4.5 Forks

Emmy Squared 364 Grand St., BrooklynNY 11211



I was a bit hesitant to try Emmy Squared since I had such mixed feelings about its sister restaurant, Pizza Loves Emily.  While I loved the brutally overpriced burger there, neither Anuja nor I were in love with the pizza.  But I was so glad I tried this place because the pizza here is way better here and now Aarti and I are totally addicted to it. Luckily for me, it's located in Williamsburg but it's far away enough from my apartment that I won't eat it every day because I could totally see myself shoving my face with it every chance I get. 

Unlike the pizza at Pizza Loves Emily, which has thin crust pizza, the ones here are Detroit style, which honestly I have never heard of before.  What I do know what it's like is old school childhood style Pizza Hut pan pizza with a thick buttery delicious crust.  It's not like a Chicago deep dish where it's completely overloaded and the thickness of a library book but it's definitely got bite to it.  Similar to its sister restaurant, you can get red or white pizza - with the white not having any sauce.  It seems obviously but when we tried to order a white the waiter was like "You know it doesn't have sauce right?" and yet somehow I was still shocked by it.  In any case, we ordered 2 red pies - The Emmy ($18) and the Classic with peppers and mushrooms ($15 + $3 per extra topping).  We started with a kale salad ($12) just to make ourselves feel healthy.

The kale salad was a very simple but solid salad.  It was well massaged with olive oil and lemon juice as it didn't have any of the roughness kale can have if it's not dressed properly.  It was served with some dried cherries and pecorino cheese - basic ingredients but delicious.  It was the right amount of greens as a starter for the main attraction.

If you're not hungry or just bored, you can totally get away with splitting 1 pizza between two people as it comes with about 8 puffy square slices.  BUT why would you?  Order 2 and you can always take the extra home.  The Emmy came with mozzarella, banana peppers, onions, ranch and a side of sauce.  That's right.  I said god damn ranch dressing.  It may sound gross but it was wonderful and mind blowing.  Combined with the buttery, crispy crust and dipping sauce, I could see myself getting super fat eating this every Sunday during football season.  The banana peppers were super mild but added some really nice crunch and tang to each bite.  It was an excellent use of a lesser known pepper. The classic with the basic toppings of mushroom and peppers was also really delicious too. Definitely not as unique but there's something really comforting to me about a really great slice with a few veggie toppings that just hits the spot.

Aarti and I couldn't stop raving about this place.  Although I do have 2 gripes and frankly should have dropped the review down by 1/2 a fork but it's been so long since I've given a 4.5 fork rating, I decided to be generous.  One, the A/C is practically none existent here.  It's been a brutal few days of heat here in NYC and it should almost illegal to have your restaurant feel like someone is just blowing lukewarm air on your neck.  Second, the service was really not up to snuff.  While our waiter was nice enough, we barely saw him.  I had to flag him down for everything:  to take our drink order, to order our food, to get our bill and to pay our bill.  It's no doubt a very busy restaurant but he never really checked up on us during the meal and I find it unusual that a place that must need to turn tables over quickly would ignore us so much.  Regardless, I still love this place and you should too.  Total bill:  $47/pp with tax tip and drinks

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: