Sunday, October 2, 2016

Where To Eat If You're On Jury Duty in Brooklyn Visited 9/19-9/23/2016 3 - 4.5 Forks

My first listsicle!  Instead of individually reviewing a bunch of places, I’m going to give you a list of the good/bad/ugly of places to eat if you have to serve jury duty in Brooklyn.

I’ve had the “honor” of serving grand jury duty for the past 2 weeks in BK.  It’s actually quite an eye-opening and frankly, scary view into how fucked up our judicial system is.  But this is a food blog and not a political blog, so I will stop here.  But being stuck in jury duty for 2 weeks means 2 weeks of finding lunch options in the depressing downtown Brooklyn neighborhood.   At first glance, there aren’t a lot of great options as the immediate area of Fulton Street Mall is packed with fast food places like Burger King and cheap pizza joints.  But there are a few gems and if you are willing to take a 10 minute walk.

Potbelly – Yes, it’s fast food but it’s one of the better sandwich places around and it’s fast and very cheap (you can get a sandwich for <$10).  It’s a definite go-to if you’re looking for something that isn’t burger and fries.  My go-to is the Roast Beef and there's just something about the toasted bread that makes it tastes that much better.  They also have killer cookies and milkshakes if you need a sugar high in between cases.  4 Forks



Photo Credit:  Yelp

Juice Shop – This is right next door to Potbelly and it was a healthy lunch life saver.  This isn’t Tribeca or Soho where you can find a bougie salad place every 10 feet, so it's slim pickings out here.  The only place I saw within a 10-15 minute walk that served real salads (I’m not talking about the kind at Hill Country Chicken where you can basically put fried chicken in your salad), was The Juice Shop.  They only have kale salads and they have a variety of combinations but the one that I got (Baja Verde) which amazing.  Topped with kale, quinoa, corn, beans and an addictive verde dressing, I definitely became hooked on this place.  Everything tasted fresh and healthy and it was actually really filling.  I came back two more times and and now actively looking for other locations in the city so that I can get my free freaking salad (only 7 more to go!)  4.5 Forks



Photo Credit:  Yelp

Yaso Tangbao – I was shocked to find this place in the middle of downtown Brooklyn.   It bills itself as Chinese street food but it’s a very clean and well run joint.  It has a very similar vibe to Xian Famous Foods but the focus on the food is less on spicy noodles but more on soup dumplings and other noodle dishes.  I got the beef noodle soup which is a dish that I remember loving in Taiwan.  This one was ok – it was a simple beef broth with sliced braised beef, nappa cabbage, bok choy and these pickled Chinese greens.  But what makes this dish is the broth and this one needed more salt and flavor to it, it was just kind of bland.  It could have also had more sliced beef but at the very least it was a nice change in a world of sandwiches and salads.  3 Forks


Photo Credit:  Yelp

Hanco – When I lived in Park Slope, this was a favorite go-to place because they made a solid Banh Mi sandwich.  It’s a 10 minute walk towards Brooklyn Heights but the food is quick so even if you have an hour, you can still make it.  I got the classic sandwich and summer roll.  The summer roll was nicely done with shrimp, lettuce, rice vermicelli wrapped in rice paper and served with oh so delicious peanut sauce ($5.25).  The classic sandwich comes with ground pork, Vietnamese ham, pate, mayo, butter, cucumber, pickled carrot, daikon radish and cilantro on a soft and toasted French baguette ($6.75).   It’s a delicious sandwich although it is super messy with the ground pork falling out every time I took a bite to eat.   It’s a cheap and delicious and makes me sad that I no longer have one in my neighborhood.   3.5 Forks

Photo Credit:  Yelp


Sophie’s – Ahh Sophie’s.  I have been going to Sophie’s (not this location) since I first came to NYC and worked at Goldman Sachs downtown.  It’s straight up Cuban comfort food and it is seriously addictive.  I always get the exact same thing:  baked chicken with yellow rice and beans.  It’s a chicken thigh/leg served on the bone, which is why it’s so moist and delicious.   But the absolute best part of the dish is actually the green sauce that they give you in a bottle at the table.  It is seriously the most addictive sauce I’ve ever had – it’s got a hint of spice but it mainly tastes like a cilantro sauce (they won’t tell you what’s in it or sell it by the bottle).  I seriously go through half a bottle when I eat there and if I do take out, I will pay extra for more of it (they only give you 2 small servings of it).  I slather it on everything, the chicken, the rice, the beans.  Honestly, the rice and beans are just a vehicle for me to get to the sauce.  The food here is heavy and every time I eat here for lunch, I want to take a long nap afterwards, but it is so worth it.    4 Forks


Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: