Monday, September 26, 2016

PokeSpot Visited 9/20/201 4.5 Forks

PokeSpot 120 4th Ave., New YorkNY 10003





Another day, another poke review.  Yes, this is how completely obsessed I am with it.  I have actually started to wonder if I will get mercury poisoning from all the raw fish I have been eating lately.  In any case, I had my eye on this place for a while because it’s right next to the L train in Union Square so it would easily be a go-to place for me if it is good.  I was worried that it would turn out to be a dud like the Whole Foods one  but I’m happy to report that I had an excellent experience.

Now to be transparent, I’m not sure if my experience was slightly tainted because the nice guy who took my order was so out of it and clearly ready to go home (to be fair, the door said they closed at 9:30 and I walked in at 9:40) just gave me everything I wanted without batting an eye.  I went to town on my bowl (it must have weighted like 2 lbs) and it was only $10.75. 

The concept here is the same as all other poke places – pick a base, pick a fish and pick some toppings.  Pretty straight forward.  Only here the portion was more than twice as much as East Coast Poke and there were twice as many toppings for the same price.  I had originally asked for the spicy miso option with brown rice which came with tuna, salmon, hijiki seaweed, kani salad, furikake, roasted seaweed, fish flakes, crispy onion and spicy miso sauce.   I also added kale (I know, it’s not very traditional but I am sadly obsessed with it), cilantro, green onion and masago.   It’s like the Chipotle of poke bowls.  I was in heaven. 

I found the ingredients to be very fresh and the entire dish was incredibly satisfying and filling.  To be fair, I know this is also not a traditional poke place (I know I’ve given other places shit for that) but there were enough yummy/healthy/Asian-type toppings that I didn’t really care at all.  The rice to topping ratio was heavily in favor of the toppings and that to me is what a good bowl of anything should be.  The base should just be there to supplement that meal but the star of the show should be the fish and other additions.   

Plus you can’t beat the price and amount of food you’re getting here.  Most other places hover around the $15 mark, which is totally fine by me since I would rather pay more for fresh fish than go cheap, but if you can get a great meal for an affordable price, then why not go with that options?   I will definitely be back here and can see it being a go to take out place for me even though it’s not even in Brooklyn.


Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: