Monday, September 26, 2016

The Living Room Visited 9/17/2016 3.5 Forks

The Living Room 207 Main St., East HamptonNY 11937


There aren’t a lot of actual hotels in the Hamptons and the ones that do exist are crazy expensive.  Most hotels here are not big high rise chains but are instead more like cute B&Bs that look like fancy Victorian homes.   The Maidstone falls into this category.  If I didn’t know any better, I would have assumed it was just another mega-million dollar mansion in town.  It’s got cute quaint rocking chairs on the outside porch and a swing on the other side.  The lobby literally looks like the foyer of someone’s home. 

Enter The Living Room – the restaurant inside the hotel.  It feels like you are in a cozy, almost colonial feeling living room.  The menu is Swedish-influenced, which I’m not sure what that really means besides the fact that they had smoke salmon, shrimp sandwiches and Swedish meatballs on the menu.  Everything else seemed like New American.   I opted for the heirloom tomato salad ($18) and the pan roasted Icelandic cod ($36) – I mean I guess Iceland is close enough to Sweden?  I noticed that a lot of people at the table got some kind of meat option – the flat iron steak was a popular option.

I’m a huge sucker for an heirloom tomato salad – even though most places clearly just use that description to jack up the price of the salad but I don’t really care.  This one came with farmstead cheese, radish, corn and a buttermilk dressing.  It was a nice tossed and balanced summer salad.  While the buttermilk dressing wasn’t as heavy as it sounds, I would have preferred a more vinegar based dressing. 

I chose the cod because I was trying to be healthier and while it was still a solid fish dish, after seeing other people’s steak dishes, I definitely had major steak envy.  The fish was cooked fairly well – it was a very generous portion fillet with a nice flakey texture to it.   It was served with local calms, lima bean and natua.   It was a solid fish dish for sure but for $36 I expect to be blown away by my dish.  Of course this is the Hamptons so everything is more expensive than it needs to be.  I’m sure it was pan roasted with tons of butter, so having the duck breast or flat iron steak probably wouldn’t have been that much worse for me.

The service was well run considering there were 9 of us at the table which I can only imagine is a pain the butt to manage.  While I enjoyed my dinner there, I actually think this place would be a better night cap type of place since they have a fireplace and some open seating in the lobby.   If I were still using ¼ forks, this would be a classic case for a 3.75 fork because while the food itself was totally well done and tasty, the high cost and lack of wow factor doesn’t really put it in a 4 fork range but I’m feeling generous and will round up for this one.  Total bill:  $70/pp with tax and tip


Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: