Sunday, December 25, 2016

Dizengoff Visited 12/22/2016 4.5 Forks

Dizengoff  75 9th AvenueNew York, NY 10011


Who knew that I would give 4.5 forks to a freakin hummus stand in Chelsea Market?!?  But the food here is simply amazing and goes to show you that you don't have to be a fancy Michelin star place to pump out great food.  This place has a cult following in Philly and they recently opened up a stall in the Chelsea Market.   They have actually started having a pre-fix $50 sit down dinners Thursday-Saturday but they sell-out almost immediately.  Luckily, even on those days you can still grab take out and find a seat in the market, which is what Allison and I did.  But I will definitely be keeping my eyes open for the next pre-fix seating (they open up on the 1st of each month for the following month).

The menu is basically all hummus - which you wouldn't think would make for a full meal but it definitely does here.  Allison and I split a chicken hummus ($13) and a brussels sprouts hummus ($12) and a side of potato ($3).   We grabbed our food and headed to a table in the market.  The size of each hummus is a lot, it's basically the size of an entire take out Thai container.  Basically, each of the "flavors" of the hummus are tossed in as toppings to the base hummus - so there was shredded chicken and roasted Brussels Sprout leaves tossed in each of the respective dishes.   They give you one giant warm pita with each hummus and the first bite is heavenly.  It's incredibly smooth, rich and creamy and I couldn't help but want to shove it into my mouth at a voracious speed because it was that delicious.  At first I was bummed they only gave us 1 pita per person but honestly you don't even need the entire one because it's so filling and eventually Allison and I were just eating it by the spoonful.  With the hummus, they give you a side of pickles and chopped Israeli type salad of marinated cucumbers and tomatoes.  Very refreshing.   I also want to give a shout out to the potatoes too which were a last minute add-on.  They were mixed in with sumac and cooked to perfection.  It was like a potato salad without the mayo and unhealthiness.

I wasn't really expecting much when I came here except that it would be a solid meal but I didn't realize how fantastic it would really be.  It's a very solid and hearty meal at a very affordable price.  It made me even more excited and determined to get a ticket to their pre-fix meal.  Total bill:  $33 for 2 with tax, tip and soda

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: