Thursday, December 22, 2016

Sunday in Brooklyn Visited 12/17/2016 3.5 Forks

Sunday in Brooklyn  348 Wythe Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11249


The first thing I'll say about Sunday in Brooklyn is that the space is beautiful.  The aesthetic is pure Brooklyn hipster - it's like a refurbished modern farm house complete with an old stove in the middle of the restaurant.   It kind of transports you away from city life and to a place that would exist in Vermont or somewhere Upstate.

The menu also has a sustainable farm-to-table vibe to it.  It was hard to decide between a breakfast sandwich and some of the larger plates of food like the steak and eggs, house smoked salmon plate or biscuits and gravy.  I opted for the cheddar scramble ($13) and Laura got the kale salad with egg ($14) and we split the avocado toast ($9).  At this point I was already a bit annoyed because the service was really lacking:  first they overcharged Laura for the teas she was drinking while she was waiting for me (she had asked them a few times to correct it and they didn't), it took forever to place our order, and when we asked for flat/tap water they gave us sparkling water instead.  Not that any of those things were dealbreakers on their own but adding up all of those small irritants didn't go unnoticed.  But what really put me over the edge service wise was that the people who sat down next to us after we were seated got their food before us.   WTF?  I had to flag down our waitress to check on our food and she gave me this look like I was crazy.  Luckily the food did come quickly after that.

The good news is that the food was delicious.  The cheddar scramble was soft and flavorful with the right amount of cheese and fluff to it.  It was served with a hearty breakfast sausage that tasted and looked homemade as well as a reasonable side of tasty home fries.  It was a very well executed standard breakfast plate.  I did see a bunch of people get their famous breakfast sandwiches and it looked bonkers.  It was a bit too much for what I was looking for but it's something that I would definitely put on my list the next time I'm there.  Laura was a big fan of the kale salad and the avocado toast looked like something that should have belonged on Instagram. It was a gorgeous half charred avocado on toast with wheatgrass, preserved tomatoes, pickled onion and sprouts.  The toast itself was a bit too hard for me but everything else was a on point.  If there is one dish besides poke that has been overdone in 2016, it's avocado toast but it's so damn good.

Overall, it was a lovely quintessential Brooklyn brunch.  The service could definitely be stepped up - the manager did come by to ask us how things were going and Laura and I thought that they were going to offer up something in response to them overcharging her for her tea despite repeated asks to correct it but nada.  I don't necessarily want to hold it against them as I did enjoy my food and the ambience a lot so hopefully things will improve the next time I'm there.  Total bill:  $28 with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: