Thursday, December 22, 2016

Frankel's Delicatessen Visited 12/15/2016 3.5 Forks

Frankel's Delicatessen     631 Manhattan Ave.,  Brooklyn, NY 11222


Having been in NYC for over 15 years, it's hard not to love a great Jewish deli.  I mean who doesn't love smoked fish on a bagel, matzo ball soup and pastrami sandwiches?  This hipster place opened up in Greenpoint not too long ago and got rave reviews for its pastrami and breakfast sandwiches so I had to check it out.  It's a fairly small place with only 2 tables and a few seats by the windowsill, so be prepared to wait for a seat or just take it home. 

The menu has a yummy line up of perfect hang over food but I decided to go with the speciality bagel combo #1 - pastrami salmon, dill, cucumber and scallion cream cheese ($12).  Mind you, while this says it's a combo - it doesn't actually come with anything else.  I got it with a toasted everything bagel and a side of fries ($4) to make it my own combo.  

The sandwich was a good size with a nice heaping of cream cheese and a decent helping of lox in there.  The pastrami salmon had a good bite to it - it definitely had the flavor profile of pastrami but in lox formation.  The combination with the cucumber and cream cheese is always a winner, although I wished it also came with tomato and capers but then I guess if I wanted that I should have just gotten a more traditional lox sandwich.   Everything was great about the sandwich except for the bagel! While I did ask for it to be toasted, it was way too hard and difficult to bite into it.  I personally like my bagels to be warm and fluffy not hard and crusty.  So that was a big disappointment.  The guy next to me got a traditional pastrami on rye and it looked freaking amazing.  This is what I get for not ordering what the place is famous for.  Next time.  Luckily the fries made up for the bad carb element to the meal.  The fries were god damn addictive - they are basically McDonald's fries - skinny, salty and you can't put them down.  The bag is definitely enough for 2 people to share so don't try to eat it all by yourself like I did or else you're feel really sick (like I did). 

Overall, it was still a nice hipster Jewish experience and it's great that it was only a 15 min walk from my house so that I don't have to trek into the city for food like this.  I would probably recommend not toasting your bagel or sticking to the traditional offerings like the pastrami if you're only going to come check this place out once.  Total bill:  $17

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: