Saturday, December 17, 2016

Tomoe Sushi Visited 12/13/2016 4.5 Forks

Tomoe Sushi  172 Thompson St., New York, NY 10012



Ahhh, Tomoe sushi - such an oldie but truly a goodie.  It's been a loooong time since I had been back but for some reason the place popped in my head on a random Tuesday night and I decided to treat myself to some sushi.  I had remembered it being one of those places where people waited in line before it even opened, so I wasn't sure how it was going to be when I got there at 7pm, but it was half empty when I arrived.  I hope that wasn't a sign of a decline in quality or popularity. 

I was seated immediately and the one bad thing about having dinner by yourself is that it's hard to share a bunch of things you like on the menu.  The service was a bit slow but it gave me time to digest what I wanted to order - the sophie's choice of sushi, do I get rolls or sashimi?  I usually don't get the sushi sashimi type combos but I had remember the sashimi was the shit here so I went for it ($40 for 10 pieces of sashimi, 5 pieces sushi and half a spicy tuna roll).  It came out fairly quickly and it was simply gorgeous.   Despite being a food blogger, I actually hate taking pictures of food at restaurants - I find it kind of annoying and stereotypical of Asians.  But I couldn't help myself here (although note, this picture above isn't the one I took).  The sushi here is extremely Instagram worthy. There was so much going on that I didn't know where to start.  There were cuts of almost every kind of fish you can imagine - salmon, tuna, yellowtail, octopus, botan, salmon roe, squid, a scoop of spicy tuna, egg, surf clam, and half a spicy tuna roll.  My mouth was watering at the the thought of eating all of this.  Each piece was fresh, simple and the cuts of sashimi were really big (almost too big - it could have been cut a bit smaller but I'm not really going to complain about it at all).  I really tried to savor each bite but I ended up chowing down on all of this in under an hour.  Being here on a quiet Tuesday night made me wonder why the hell I stopped coming here in the first place?

The food was plentiful and I was stuffed by the time I finished everything.  I toyed with the idea of getting a spicy scallop roll or a piece of uni but I had to draw the line - going out to eat for a random casual Tuesday night shouldn't run me $75, which is what would have happened if I ordered more food.  Instead, it cost me $50 which is definitely way more than what I would typically spend on take out or pick up but you know, sometimes you just need to do what makes you freaking happy, and for me it's spending it on really enjoyable food experiences.  The only bummer was that the service was pretty inattentive.  A heads up that it's cash or Amex only.   Total bill: $50 with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp



No comments: