Friday, December 16, 2016

Samesa Visited 12/12/2016 4.5 Forks

Samesa  495 Lorimer St., Brooklyn, NY 11211



I was beyond devastated when Meat Hook Sandwich closed down.  They served amazing sandwiches and despite the fact that the actual Meat Hook market opened up literally across the street from me, they weren't really serving many sandwiches there.  But luckily the new place that opened up in its place is equally as fantastic. 

The food here comes from the Sussman brothers - one worked at The Cleveland and the other at Mile End but the focus here is Middle Eastern food which is great because I LOVE Middle Eastern food and there isn't enough of it in the 'hood.  The menu includes pita wraps, plates and salads.  Everything sounded fantastic - I was having a really really hard time deciding between getting a grilled meat plate or a salad.  I was feeling healthy so I opted for the special crunchy salad + chicken ($13 for a large, which was REALLY large) - this was made with dinosaur kale, purple cabbage, sprouts, chickpeas, onion, and this amazingly delicious green goddess like dressing.  I got it as a take-out and the chicken shawarma was served in a separate container, so you can mix in as little or as much as you'd like - of course I mixed in all of it but there is so much chicken that you can save some and use it for another dish.  The chicken was amazing - it was juicy, tender with a bit of char on the outside (it was mostly dark meat) and had this mind blowing yogurt dressing on top of it.  When you mixed it in with the actual salad, it was heaven. I was getting so full but I couldn't stop myself from eating it.  I usually am not a fan of raw cabbage but there was something in the way this was shredded and mixed with the dressing that made it really tasty.   The only thing I would probably change would be the pita chips - I've never been a fan of croutons or things like that in my salad and the cabbage and onions were "crunch" enough to carry on the namesake.   There was so much food that I was able to split it into 2 meals which makes this a really great deal. 

The actual space of the place hasn't change much from when it was the Meat Hook Sandwich shop, the only difference is that they have pretty cool branding and the overall vibe is more relaxing and chill.  I am definitely super super excited to try out the rest of the dishes there - in fact, I am going to make my mission to go back and try at least 3 more dishes.  Hopefully they will stick around for while because the prices are super reasonable for such delicious take out food.  Total bill:  $13

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: