Saturday, April 21, 2018

Daisies Visited 3/16/2018 3.5 Forks

Daises  2523 N Milwaukee Ave., Chicago, IL 60647



I try to go to Chicago at least once a year to see my best friends but I also love going there because they have a wonderful food scene.  Daises is in the hip area of Logan Square and I've always had great meals there.   Our introduction to Daises was a bit of a weird one - they have a separate entrance that's like you're entering into a nightclub and then once the host/bouncer checks you in, you enter into the actual restaurant.  Based on that you'd think it was some stuffy place but once you walk inside it's fairly laid back - although the decor is a bit stark and cold. 

I'm not quite sure what the genre of food is here but pasta is the star of the entree section.  But first we ordered fried mushrooms and cheese curds ($11) to start and I got the pappardelle ($17) pasta.  The fried mushrooms and cheese curds were an interesting dish - it was oyster-like mushrooms and cheese curd that were lightly battered (tempura-style) and fried and served with a buttermilk tarragon dipping sauce.  They were easy to pop in your mouth and a good snack although to this day I'm still not sure what a cheese curd really is.  As for the pasta, it was tasty and felt like it was homemade which is always a plus.  It was cooked al dente and the serving size was just right.  I can see why they are known of their pastas but it wasn't wasn't a dish that blew my mind away either.  They had a pretty light dessert menu and weirdly they had an oat bar for $1.   We got the kahula cake ($7) which was essentially a small bundt rum cake.  It wasn't anything super creative but it did satisfy my sweet craving. 

While I enjoyed my meal at the time, now that I've been back in NYC for over 4 weeks since my trip, it wasn't necessarily a place that stuck out in my head as a must visit when in Chicago.  I could see that if you lived in Chicago and especially if you lived in Logan Square, you would go there to check out all the pastas but I wouldn't categorize it as a destination dining experience.  Total bill:  $60/pp with tax, tip and some drinks

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: