Sunday, April 8, 2018

The Marshal Visited 3/13/2018 4 Forks

The Marshal  628 10th Ave., New York, NY 10036


While I go out to eat a lot in NYC, there are pockets of the city that I'm just not as familiar with and anything above 23rd street kind of falls in that camp.  So when I meet up with friends for dinner outside of that area, I depend on others to make a recommendation.  I met up with Aarti for a late dinner near her office and while 10th Ave is certainly starting to become more populated, it's still a bit of a walk from anything.  Luckily Aarti's office is in the area, so she knew of The Marshal and even made a reservation.  At first glance, you wouldn't think you'd need one, but I would recommend one since it is tiny and a few people did get turned away because it was so full.

The vibe of this place matches its size:  cozy, rustic, farm to table food.  It's a very hearty line up of appetizers and entrees - mac and cheese, slab of bacon, meatballs, roasted chicken and meatloaf to name a few.  For the vegetarians, they don't have any entrees that are vegetarian but they have over 12 different kinds of farmers market sides that you can combine and make into a very filling meal.  Upon the recommendation from the waitress, we got the Brussels Sprout Salad ($17) and I opted for the goat cheese and herb stuffed bone-in chicken breast ($26) and Aarti got a medley of 3 different sides ($24.50). 

We were originally wavering between the kale and Brussels sprout salad and the waitress insisted that the Brussels sprout salad was way better and boy was I glad she said it because it was amazing.  It was a mix of raw and roasted Brussels sprouts, tossed with focaccia, croutons, Caesar dressing and parmesan cheese - basically a Caesar salad but made with Brussels sprouts.  It was so delicious and I could totally see myself getting this on my own as a main entree with some roasted chicken thrown on top of it.   This salad is definitely worth coming back for.  Then came the chicken which was fabulous also - since it was on the bone it was very juicy and tender.  It came on a bed of rainbow chard and topped with pork lardon.  The only complaint I would have is that I couldn't really taste the goat cheese but maybe that's what also kept it moist as well.

Overall, it's a lovely intimate restaurant with a very solid line up of farm fresh food.  The location of this place makes it a bit hard for me to say it's a destination restaurant but if you're looking for a nice quiet place on the West Side, I would definitely put on your list.  Total bill:  $70/pp with tax, tip and drinks

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: