Saturday, April 21, 2018

Paddlefish Visited 3/28/2018 3 Forks

Paddlefish  1670 E Buena Vista Dr., Orlando, FL 32830


Lord help me if I ever have to be in Orlando ever again if I don't have children.  I haven't been to Orlando in years (since I was a kid) but found myself there for a work conference in the middle of spring break.  It was literally my worst nightmare - packed with people, screaming children everywhere and nothing that wasn't a chain restaurant or fast food joint within 50 miles.  But the weather was great!

Like I said, I was there for a work conference and one of our suppliers graciously gave us $75 to spend on dinner on our own at Disney Springs - this mega mall complex that reminds me a bit of Vegas.  We were to try to coordinate with others at the conference to have dinner together but the place is so spread out and huge that a few co-workers and I just scooted off ourselves for dinner.  The place is filled with kid friendly places like the Rainforest Cafe but we managed to find Paddlefish which seemed like it was a bit more quiet and adult friendly.  The wait was over an hour for dinner but we managed to grab 3 seats at the bar.  As you would expect, the menu is seafood focused which worked for me.  Since this is Disney related, the prices were all pretty inflated - in fact they are pretty on par with NYC prices which was not surprising but still annoying.  We split the calamari ($16) because we were starving and then I decided to get linguine and clams ($26) because I normally don't get it when I'm out.  I should call out that the bread they serve you in the beginning is actually pretty good - it was a warm parker-like roll and served with sweet honey butter.  We asked for 2 orders of it - carbs be damned!  The calamari was pretty decent for what it was - it was nicely battered and not too greasy.  As for the pasta, it was totally fine as a pasta with clams.  It was a bit oily but there were a good number of clams and tons of garlic which makes everything better.

Overall, it was a perfectly fine meal for being trapped in a mega mall.  The bartender was quite nice and friendly so that was a plus.  I know I'm being a bit harsh for ragging on this place but I'd think that even for parents they breakout in hives when they think of taking their kids to Disney/Orlando - it's definitely not a relaxing vacation.  I'm glad Delta paid for our meal, otherwise I would definitely be annoyed that I paid $60 for a such basic meal.  Total bill:  $60 with tax, tip and a beer

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: