Friday, May 4, 2018

Miznon Visited 4/6/2018 4 Forks

Miznon  435 W 15th St., New York, NY 10011



Even though I know Chelsea Market is such a tourist trap, I still love going there and trying all the stalls as they've got some really great ones there.  So when I heard that another amazing Mediterranean places that wasn't Dizengoff opened up in Chelsea Market, Allison and I made a bee line for it.

It's tucked away toward the back of the market and when we got there, there was already a huge line.  Like most of the other places in Chelsea Market, this is much more of a fast casual chain vs. a sit down restaurant.  Apparently this place is a super famous chain in Tel Aviv and it's chef is a celebrity in his home country of Israel.  Now I can see why.  When I heard that it was a pita place, I assumed it was all about the hummus but I couldn't be more wrong.  There is zero hummus to be found on the menu - which was actually kind of a bummer.  The menu consists of pitas filled with delicious and amazing stuffing - both veggie friendly and meat friendly options.    I really wanted to get the ribeye roast beef but alas they were out of it.  Why, it was only 6:30pm???  The cashier was very apologetic about it and suggested I get the cow stew ($12) instead.  I went with his suggestion but I could have very easily ordered anything off the menu and I probably would have still been excited for it.  They are also famous for their whole cauliflower ($9) which Allison and I split. 

Like all the other places in Chelsea Market, seating is limited and you gotta push your way to get a table but I highly recommend sitting down to eat this because it's one messy but delicious meal.  First off, the pita itself is freaking out of this world.  It was soft and pillowy but strong enough to hold all the ingredients without falling apart on you.  I could have just eaten the pita plain and been a happy person.  Allison and I commented how the perfect combination might be the hummus from Dizengoff and the pita from here.  The actual stew stuffed pita was also excellent - it tasted exactly like a beef stew stuffed in a pita.  I don't know how they do it but it's got juicy thick cubes of beef, root vegetables, tahini, onion, pickles and chili.  It was incredibly filling and super messy - definitely don't order this if you're on a date.  The whole roasted cauliflower was pretty damn good too.  It was a whole head cooked just right where it was soft but not too mushy with a bit of char on the outside to it.   

The only reason I didn't give it a higher rating was because there wasn't hummus or any side dishes (besides the cauliflower or potato).  The pita is fabulous and maybe it's just my hungry hippo way, but I feel like it there needs to be some side offerings like all the yummy options at Taim to really round out the total meal experience.  However, that would never stop me from not coming back here.  In fact, I'm already plotting when I can go back and get that damn roast beef pita.  Total bill:  $13 with tax 

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: