Saturday, June 9, 2018

Norman Visited 5/4/2018 4.5 Forks

Norman  29 Norman Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11222



Ever since I went to Denmark and Norway, I have been obsessed with all things Scandinavian.  I'll admit that the food isn't for everyone and it's got it's own unique flavor palate but I really enjoy it.  So I was thrilled to check out Norman which is the ultimate hipster paradise in Greenpoint.  It's this enormous creative space in Greenpoint that is kind of like part WeWork, part cafe.  The entire aesthetic reeks of a typical minimalist Scandinavian design that I love.   There a tons of communal tables, lots of light and open space - perfect for the Brooklyn freelancer which there were tons of.   If I were some hipster freelancer, I would work here all the time. 

In the middle of the space is a cafe/bar/restaurant where you can order a variety of Scandinavian focused food - so think of grainy bread, smoked salmon and cured meats.  They also have a daily lunch special for $14 which comes with a vegetable side dish and freshly baked bread.  I was super tempted by the egg sandwich since I was there for lunch on a weekday but I opted for the daily lunch special which was a chicken kabob and cucumber salad.  I also got a side of rugbrod (Danish rye bread) which came with almond butter and a berry preserve ($5). 

The chicken kabob was fantastic - super moist and flavorful and came with marinated grilled chunks of onion in between.  The cucumber salad was enormous - it was chunks (not sliced) cucumber in a mild dill yogurt sauce.  It was refreshing and simple yet something I haven't really seen elsewhere.  Finally the bread.  What can I say except it makes me never ever want to go on a no carb diet.  It was warm and comforting and so so delicious.  The rugbrod was also fabulous - although I can see why it may not be everyone's cup of tea.  It's a thick cut of bread that has a lot of texture to it thanks to the heaping of seeds and grains in it.  The almond butter and berry preserve was the perfect combination to it.  It's very hearty and it was a bit of an overkill with the other bread I had but oh well.  

I walked out of this place feeling instantly cooler and hipper.  While I can't say I ever crave Scandinavian food, it has a very soft spot in my heart and I would bring anyone here in a heartbeat if they were looking to tip their toe into this new culinary trend.  Total bill:  $24/pp with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: