Saturday, June 9, 2018

Ikinari Steak Visited 4/28/2018 3.5 Forks

Ikinari Steak  90 E 10th St., New York, NY 10003


This place had been on my list for a while not because I thought the food would be amazing but because of the kitch factor - it's a chain in Japan where you stand up while you eat your steak.  Luckily the East Village location added some chairs but it's still quite super casual and laid back.  They have a few different cuts of meat (ribeye, sirloin, and filet) that you order by weight - if you're a first timer, it's confusing to know how much to order but I got the 10 oz top ribeye and it was just the right size ($2.50 per oz).  I would recommend that you ask the waiter to trim off as much fat as possible since it adds to the weight and it's not worth eating.  The steak comes with onion, corn and another veggie side and Cicily and I added a side of garlic pepper rice ($8) because we thought we needed something else with our meal.   That is essentially the entire menu, so it's fairly limiting and if you don't eat meat, there isn't much to eat (unlike at a traditional steakhouse where you can make an entire meal out of veggie sides). 

The food comes out pretty quickly and let's just say that presentation isn't their strong suit.  It basically comes out in a hot skillet and it kind of reminded me of being in a cafeteria - not necessarily in a bad way, just a simple way.  The corn and broccoli were basic with nothing on it.  The meat was a pretty decent size cut and served simply too - seasoned with salt and pepper and not much else.  There is steak sauce on the table that you can use but I like my steak on the clean and simple side so I ate it as is.  I'll say that it was a decent cut of steak and I was very full afterwards but it had a lot of fat on it, despite me asking them to cut a lot of it off.   I usually don't mind some fat on my steak but this was too much even for me.  As for the garlic pepper rice it was literally white rice with black pepper and some sautéed garlic on it.   I thought it would be more along the lines of a veggie fried rice but nope it was just rice with pepper.  

Overall, it was an interesting experience and if you're a big meat eater or some who likes to eat a lot of steak, I would recommend it because it's very definitely reasonably priced compared to a traditional steak house.  Don't come expecting a blow out meal but it's a unique experience for sure (I can totally see why it's popular in Japan).  Total bill:  $42/pp with tip and tax

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: