Wednesday, June 6, 2018

St. Tropez Wine Bar Visited 4/27/2018 4.5 Forks

St. Tropez Wine Bar  304 W 4th St., New York, NY 10014



All I can say is SJP.   I had dinner here a few weeks ago and sitting behind me was Sarah Jessica Parker with some friends just having a casual dinner. This is why I love NYC.  I gotta say this is probably one of my better celebrity sightings in a while and in true NYC style, no gave a f*ck she was there (ok, except maybe me and Holly).  But I can see why she came here.  I know she lives in the West Village and this place is THE quintessential adorable West Village restaurant/bar.  It's cozy but not cramped feeling and it's just an all around relaxing place to spend some time.  It's primarily a French wine bar but they've also got a menu of yummy French dishes that you can easily make into a full dinner. 

The only downside is that there isn't really a happy hour but you get over that quickly.  Holly and I got there early (around 6ish on a Friday) and by the time we left at 9:30, there was definitely a wait.  The wine list is obviously French and they have a TON of amazing options - so brush up on your French wines!  The food menu also has a lot of fantastic items on the menu and they are all very reasonably priced with nothing more than $18.  I can't remember exactly what we had but I remember the beef tartare ($16), grilled shrimp ($12), beef stew ($18) and a cheese plate ($13).   The beef tartare was tasty but different than some of the other ones I've had since this one had mayo in it but I love mayo, so that didn't gross me out at all.  The beef stew was hearty and comforting but not overly heavy (in case anyone was curious this was the dish SJP had).  The chunks of beef were tender and perfectly executed in a red wine sauce.

I walked out of this meal so surprised by it because I randomly read about it on a food blog but it hasn't really gotten much buzz or press so I was expecting it to be ok but not great.  Maybe it's a good thing that it hasn't been written about in a bunch of places to keep the crowds away.  Although judging by the wait when we left, word has already gotten out - at least with the famous locals.  While I don't live in the hood, this is the kind of place I want to make as one of my go-to spots in the city.  Total bill:  $108/pp with tax, tip and lots of wine

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: