Saturday, July 14, 2018

Baz Bagel and Restaurant Visited 5/19/2018 3.5 Forks

Baz Bagel and Restaurant  181 Grand St., New York, NY 10013



Who knew that a bagel restaurant could actually be so hipster?  I guess you can make anything hipster these days.  The place is in the weird area that's not quite Soho or Chinatown but it's a small cute and funky space that I would have never found on my own if Aarti hadn't. It was super crowded and it only has a few small tables in the back, otherwise you can just order at the counter to go.  

The menu is quite overwhelming with every kind of bagel and breakfast variety you can think of and there is a slight Jewish deli slant to it with lots of lox and whitefish options. They also have latkes and salads if you really don't want a bagel.  On top of everything else on the menu, you can just make your own bagel dish like you would at any other deli in NYC.  After hemming and hawing for 20 mins, I finally landed on the Bunny Breakfast ($14) - eggs your way (I asked for a soft scramble), avocado, nova salmon, and served with a bagel with cream cheese (I got everything bagel with scallion cream cheese).   This is everything I love in a breakfast dish but slightly deconstructed.  The eggs were nice and softly scrambled, the lox nicely smoked and as for the avocado, it's hard to f*ck up ripe avocado slices.  My one complaint actually was the bagel.  Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad but it also wasn't mind blowing and it could have been a bit more chewy for me.  I still have visions of a sausage, egg and cheese on an everything bagel La Bagel Delight - my all time favorite bagel place and no bagel place has really stood up to that for me.  I know bagels are a touchy subject in New York and I do truly believe that NYC has the best bagel anywhere, you just need to find your own place.  This is definitely a cute place and I like all the variety they have, I'm just not sure if I would actually go specifically for the bagel.  Total bill:  $17/pp with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: