Saturday, July 14, 2018

Sushi Yasaka Visited 5/21/2018 5 Forks

Sushi Yasaka  251 W 72nd St., New York, NY 10023


OMG - where has this place been my whole life??!  I'm so obsessed with this place and can't believe I haven't been there before.  I've never been a fan of the UWS but this is a place where I would 100% go out of my way to go.  The best thing is that it's not some fancy pants sushi place - in fact it's much more of a local, mom and pop joint but the quality and value is second to none. 

I was in that blissful state of being in between jobs, so I was able to take long leisurely lunches in the city and there's nothing I love more than a good ole fashion sushi lunch special.  Even though it was a weekday, the place was fully jammed so you should definitely make a reservation.  It makes me wonder, where the hell do these people do for work?!?  In any case, the menu has quite a few options but I went straight for the Miyabi lunch - for $18 you got 4 pieces of sushi, 7 pieces of sashimi, an oyster, a 6 piece roll of your choice, soup and salad - a seriously amazing deal.  I was tempted to go for the regular Miyabi combo which had the same thing but 6 pieces of sushi and 8 pieces of sashimi but I figured I didn't need to spend $28 when I could get the lunch special.  As a treat to myself, I got a spicy scallop roll as well.  This was beyond plenty of food.  This is what fresh fish is supposed to look and taste like.  Even the 1 oyster was fantastic.  The fish was all gorgeous in cut and color (I make it sound like a freakin diamond ring).  It's this kind of sushi that makes me happy and crave sushi every day of the week.  Don't get me wrong, I love a fancy pants sushi place every now and then too but you can't eat there all the time.  While I can't say this place is oozing with Japanese authenticity, I can say with 100% confidence that if I live anywhere near this place, I would be spending significant amounts of time and money here.  In fact, just writing about this place makes me want to take a detour up there after work next week.  Total bill:  $33 with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: