Sunday, November 18, 2018

Kyma Visited 7/27/2018 3 Forks

Kyma  15 W 18th St., New York, NY 10011


As many of you know, I love Greek food and think it's highly underrated.  So when a lot of the food blogs were buzzing about this new place (which apparently has a cult following in Long Island), I felt like I had to check it out.  It's kind of on a random, non-descript street in the Flatiron District but the decor inside was lovely.  Spacious, bright and white - as you would expect from something with a Greek theme to it.

The menu is huge, traditional and authentic:  delicious dips, spanakopita, saganaki, lots of seafood dishes, whole fishes, salads and they also had lamb and pork chops.  Really robust menu and it was even a bit overwhelming for two people.  Allison and I landed on the dips ($16), Greek salad ($20), and we split a whole bronzino ($32).   As with most Greek restaurants, the dips were fabulous and the Greek salad outstanding with the tomatoes being the star.  But unfortunately, the whole fish was a real bummer for me.  I guess I'm used to the type of whole fish in Chinese restaurants where they literally give you the whole fish and you pick it apart.  Instead, here they say it's the whole fish but they filet it for you, which I guess is helpful if you don't want to deal with the bones.  While I love that Greek food is so simple and delicious with just a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of salt, this just felt super meh to me.  It was really underwhelming and for $32, I expected a big, more tender fish.  Paying $32 for a flat fish left me still feeling hungry.

Another weird thing that happened to me here (which is of no fault of the restaurant) is that I started to feel itchy in the lip and ever since this meal, I had what felt like an allergic reaction in my lips for a good 4 weeks.  It was really weird and I have no idea what it could have been but this experience kind of clouded my memory of eating her too.  But either way, I left dinner still feeling hungry and it wasn't clear to me why there was so much buzz about this place to begin with.  The menu was huge so it's possible that I could have had a much better meal with other options but I'm not sure if I will be running back to this place so soon.  Total bill:  $101/pp with tax, tip and a few drinks

No comments: