Sunday, December 2, 2018

Vice Versa Visited 7/27/2018 3.5 Forks

Vice Versa  325 W 51st St., New York, NY 10019




If you're wondering did I have two dinners in one night?  The answer is yes.  I had double booked myself but I didn't want to cancel either of my plans so I had the early dinner with Allison at Kyma and then headed over to a birthday dinner at Vice Versa for my friend Dan.  I was originally just going to go for "1 drink" but since it was his birthday, I ended up staying for the whole dinner and ordering yet another full meal.  Opps.  Needless to say, I did not feel the best the next day.

I've been here before to meet Dan for drinks and it's a classic Hell's Kitchen/Pre-Theater joint.  The clientele is a bit older but the crowd always feels like they are regulars here with the staff.  The nice thing is that it's never super crowded and everyone is super chill here (maybe too much so).  The menu here is traditional Italian with a nice line up of antipasti dishes, vegetables, lots of home made pastas and fish and meat dishes.  So there is truly something for everyone.  The table split the grilled calamari and some other appetizers and I got the spaghetti with crab ($25) because lord knows I needed another full meal at that point.  The calamari was fine, nothing really special.  But the crab pasta was delicious and not too fishy.  Since it was Dan's birthday, we got several desserts and the stand-out was the tiramisu.

Overall, it was a fun night because it was such a lower stress place where you could really relax and hang out with friends.  The food got the job done but what docked this place half a fork was the shaky and uneven service.   It just felt a bit disorganized.  If you're looking for a low key place in Midtown, it's worth a visit but I wouldn't necessarily go with you're in a hurry or don't have a ton of patience.  Total bill:  $110/pp with tax, tip and lots of drinks

Photo credit: Yelp

No comments: