Saturday, November 10, 2018

Okozushi Visited 7/15/2018 3.5 Forks

Okozushi  376 Graham Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11211



I was beyond excited when I saw the first signs of this place a few months ago.  First, there is a severe lack of ANY sushi (let alone good sushi) in the neighborhood and second, it's by the same people as Okonomi and Osakana - both places that I love in my area.  These two places focus on more authentic Japanese food and locally sourced fish and the mentality here is no different.  

A heads up that the space is tiny but cute.  The 3 of us sat the bar and we sit perfectly but other than that there are only 2 other small tables inside.  It's walk-in only so I would say come on the earlier side if you don't want to wait around a while.  While it's sushi, buyer beware as it's definitely not your typical sushi.  There are no spicy tuna rolls, sashimi or anything of the like.  They say that the sushi here is Kyoto style sushi, which to be honest, I'm not really sure what that means since I've sadly never been to Kyoto (yet!).   But apparently it means box pressed sushi (hakozushi) and temari (ball shaped sushi) style.  The fish used here is also untraditional - it was more tilefish, grouper, mackerel and the like and you had to pay extra for salmon.  They have several price points depending on how much you want  to eat (ranging from $25 to $50).   I went for the middle option of $35 - 6 pieces of hakozushi, 2 pieces of temari and 2 hand rolls.  The fish here is lightly cured and topped with unusual toppings like pickled vegetables and blue cheese.  Interesting combination and flavor profiles for sure.  I am a bit of a fish snob and I wasn't a huge fan of the white fish nor the blue fish but the other types were fine.  My one big gripe was that the ratio of rice to fish was too high - sometimes I felt like all I was eating was rice.  But I will say the rice was delicious and perfectly made so at least it was tolerable when you are eating all those carbs.  You are also served a hearty fish broth in the beginning which is a nice touch and I would also highly recommend getting the green tea.  It's almost like a matcha green tea and it's delightful.   It's all very interesting and tasty but I'm honestly not sure if it's something that I would come back for on a regular basis (even though it's <5 5="" a="" also="" and="" apt="" broth="" face="inherit" fish="" font="" from="" get="" green="" highly="" house="" i="" mins="" my="" nbsp="" nice="" ou="" recommend="" start="" tea="" the="" to="" walk="" would=""> 

I'm really glad I tried it and they even have take-out now but I think I prefer the more "traditional" style sushi places with spicy rolls and salmon, tuna yellowtail sashimi type place.  I love the fact that they are trying something new but in a neighborhood where you can't get any decent sushi, it's a bit too far out for me to want to come back and order from it regularly.   One nice thing here is that gratuity is included.  Total bill:  $38 with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: