Saturday, November 10, 2018

Wanpaku Visited 7/20/2018 3.5 Forks

Wanpaku  621 Manhattan Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11222


Another Asian opening in the area!  I was super excited to see this new place because like sushi, there is a dearth of ramen places within walking distance of where I live.  I came during lunch on a hot July Friday afternoon, which is so not ramen weather.  But I was still excited to try it out anyways.  The decor is lovely and when I went it was totally empty but then again it was 12pm on a weekday.

The menu has a nice line up for Japanese small plates like homemade tofu, Japanese eggplant, pork buns and salmon tartare.  They also had one of my favorites:  fried oysters ($8), which I had to try!  They also have a good variety of ramen - from chicken broth to beef broth to even 2 vegetarian versions (one is even gluten free - welcome to Brooklyn).  They also have katsu dishes (Japanese curry) and donburi.   When I went they also had seasonal specials like the cold ceviche ramen.  Since it was so hot outside and because I love raw seafood, I had to try this dish. 

The fried oysters came our first and they were served with a Japanese tartare sauce.  Usually I find it hard to go wrong with anything fried but this one was mushy and not that great.  It's almost like it was under fried.  The best part of any fried dish is the crunch and this one didn't have it.  Plus if the crunch isn't there then at least the oyster part should be nice and plump and this one wasn't.  So I was a bit anxious about what was to come.  Luckily the cold ramen was much better.  I will say cold ramen just doesn't stack up to a nice hot ramen with fatty broth and sliced pork in it.  But this tasted healthier and there was a good portion of shrimp (cooked), raw tuna and salmon with masago and avocado.  It could have used a bit more flavoring or even a cold broth to add some saltiness to it. 

The place leans more towards the trendy hipster side and I wouldn't say it's super authentic but if you're in the mood for some Japanese small bites and ramen, it's worth checking out.  There's also a super cute hidden bar in the back called The Hidden Pearl that is like a speakeasy with tiki drinks.  It's small, dark and kind of random but also worth checking out if you're in the area, on a date or have out of town friends.  Total bill:  $33 with tax and tip

No comments: