Sunday, February 17, 2019

1 Week in Amsterdam 9/15-9/22/2018 Part 1 3.5-4 Forks

Omelegg Nieuwebrugsteeg 241012 AH Amsterdam                                                              3.5 Forks


Another work week means another week back in Amsterdam (there are definitely worse places to be).  I had heard about this place from co-workers and didn't get to try it out last time, so I figured I would make a pit stop this go around.  It's exactly what you would expect from a place called Omelegg - it's a cute cozy brunch spot serving mostly students and young folks.  Also as you would expect, the menu is pretty focused on eggs.  It's actually a pretty impressive and extensive menu of omelets (some combinations I've never heard of before) and if you like breakfast food, this is definitely the place to go.

I kept it simple and got the Popeye with egg whites.  Not surprisingly, this was filled with spinach, mushroom, onion, farmer's cheese and oregano (7.95 euros).  All the ingredients were sauteed nicely, especially the onions.  It was served with toast and a small salad.  The food was totally fine and comforting.  It's a cute place to have breakfast and the service was surprisingly fast for Amsterdam.  If you're in the mood for a good old fashion egg breakfast, I would definitely recommend this place but it's also not going to be a life changing meal by any stretch. 

Restaurant Red   Keizersgracht 5941017 EN Amsterdam                                                          4 Forks


Do you like steak? Do you like lobster? Do you like french fries?  Who doesn't?  You can get all of this at Restaurant Red for a very reasonable price.  

This place was also recommended by one of the managers on my team - she said it's one of her go-to's in Amsterdam because it's near the office and in budget.  The prices are all very reasonable with a steak costing 22 euros, lobster for 30 euros or you can get both for 36 euros (you don't get a full lobster with the surf and turf - just half).  That's pretty much all they have on the menu except for a few small starters like steak tartare and caviar.  I felt like it was my duty to get the surf and turf but at the price point I wasn't expecting much.  The steak was surprisingly good - very juicy and nicely cooked.  It was a bit on the small side but enough for 1.  The lobster was only half and it was kind of skinny - with the claw being pretty non-existent.  Maine lobster this was not.  I actually don't like it when they cut the lobster length wise because you don't get the same feel from the tail that way.  The dish also comes with steak fries (my favorite part of Dutch meals) in case you're still hungry.  They were a bit dry, so I had to dunk them in mayo to keep them moist. 

The atmosphere is super dark and sexy and with the jet lag were were all about to fall asleep in our food.  But if you can stay awake, it's worth checking out if you're in the mood for meat and seafood. 

Photo Credit:  Yelp

Zuivere Koffie  Utrechtsestraat 391017 VH Amsterdam                                                            4 Forks


This is one of those reviews where if I had written about it after my first experience I would have given it 3 forks.  But after having been there a few times afterwards, I've started to warm up to this place.  You just never know when you are going to catch a restaurant at a bad moment. 

So my first experience was bad only because of the super rude service - which I later learned is really just the Dutch way.  I know they are direct which I like in the business world but in cases like in the service industry, I prefer for them to be more warm and fuzzy.  I had ordered the 2 fried eggs on toast with roast beef (it's really prosciutto) and arugula but instead the waitress brought out another dish with fried eggs on it - it was fine, just not what I had ordered.  I told her that wasn't what I ordered and she was extremely adamant that I was wrong.  WTF? How did I not know what I ordered? After going back and forth unnecessarily several times, she brought me my food but I was so annoyed. Luckily, the food was quite delicious.  It's 2 perfectly fried eggs with cheese, thin slices of prosciutto and some salad on top.  The eggs were beautiful - they were these dark orange yolks and looked very organic/farm to table instead of the bright yellow yolks you see at home sometimes.   The orange juice there is also amazing - it's the freshest juice I've ever had.  You feel as if you're drinking 3 whole fresh oranges.

There's also a super cute cafe cat that hangs around the front tables.  She's super cute until she starts to step all over you and your food but if you nudge her away, she will generally comply. 

I've been here several times afterwards and while the service is still super slow, I've had different waitresses there each time and they're all been much nicer.  It's a convenient place for breakfast in the city centre if you're hotel doesn't serve it and it's one of the few places that opens before 9am, so you're able to get a good meal in and still get to the office at a reasonable hour. 

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: