Saturday, April 13, 2019

Oxomoco Visited October 2018 4 Forks

Oxomoco  128 Greenpoint Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11222



Oxomoco has been part of the trend of super hot restaurants popping up in Greenpoint.  I've always loved Greenpoint but it's certainly becoming a force to be reckoned with in the dining scene.  I had been wanting to try this place out and met up with Paige there on a random weekday night.  It was packed but luckily we were still able to get a table there without much of a wait. 

The menu is high end but still relatable Mexican food.  Of course as with any Mexican meal, we had to get the guacamole ($15) - which by the way, when the hell did guacamole become so crazy expensive?? Thanks Trump.  Every time I get guacamole I feel the same way, it's good but never feels any better than the kind I can make at home myself.  But it just feels wrong to be eating Mexican food without smashed up avocados.  The tacos are the main stars here and we got the shrimp, pork cheek and barbacoa (you can get them in twos or threes ($15-$24) - since we were getting so many we opted for the two's version, which I think is the better way to go if you want some variety).  They were all excellent - the meats moist and juicy and all served with really fresh ingredients and salsa.  The tortillas tasted like the homemade ones I got in Mexico City and made with blue corn.   No sour cream or rice and beans to be found here (although don't get me wrong, I love them on the right kind of Mexican food).

It's no wonder this place is so popular.  I should also give a shout out to their cocktail list - my Paloma was excellent.  While Greenpoint isn't always the easiest place to get to, it's places like this that show why it's a great food destination to check out. 

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: