Saturday, February 20, 2010

Geido Sushi Visited 2/19/10 3 Forks

Geido 331 Flatbush Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11217


I have heard great things about Geido for many years but just could never bring myself to cross Flatbush to make it there. After we walked past it on the way to Franny's, I decided that I had to make the effort to go.

The walk from my apt wasn't as bad as I had thought. It's literally right on the corner for Flatbush and 7th Ave, so it was about a 15 min. walk. When I entered the restaurant, I was taken aback at how bright and airy it was. The entire waitstaff immediately greets you in Japanese when you enter. The place just really struck me as a place I would love, I can't explain why. I think what I like is that it's not just sushi but that it has a bunch of other Japanese speciality foods. The environment is very much an izakaya meets sushi bar.

Dan and I split a sashimi platter ($15), an Obama roll ($9.90), a miss pepper roll ($6.50) and a small bottle of cold sake ($10). I was tempted to order the omakase, which looked amazing in the menu but Dan and I weren't sure if we needed that much food, but I will definitely order it the next time I go. The sake was sweet and very pleasant on the tongue. The Obama roll was tuna, salmon, yellowtail covered with crunch. It was pretty good and the miss pepper roll which was just a yellowtail and jalapeno roll. Usually this type of roll has the crunch green jalapeno pepper but was a sweet soft pepper. They had many many other rolls that sounded delicious but we just couldn't fit it in. I wasn't overly impressed with the miss pepper roll but the sashimi was pretty fresh and delicious. It came with 4 pieces of tuna, 2 pieces of salmon, 4 pieces of white fish wrapped around scallion, 3 pieces of mackerel and 4 other pieces of some other kind of fish that I couldn't figure out but was pretty good b/c it came topped with ginger. I usually hate mackerel but this one was pretty fresh tasting, although it was still pretty fishy in general.

despite the walk, I will most definitely be back to this restaurant and order the omakase and maybe some different rolls.

No comments: