Saturday, February 20, 2010

Okeanos Visited 2/20/10 1.5 Forks

Okeanos 314 7th Ave
(between 4th Ave & 8th St) Brooklyn, NY 11215


I had originally been excited that a new restaurant was opening up on 7th Ave, but yet again, I feel like the quality of restaurants on this street is pretty disappointing. Dan and I mainly went b/c he had seen the menu when walking by one day and they had Eggs Benedict and Eggs Florentine on their brunch menu. We were starving when we went b/c I had waited an hour to get my taxes done, so were were very excited to sit down and eat. The place was pretty empty when we went at 1pm, which generally isn't a great sign. Dan and I really miss 2nd Street Cafe which had amazing brunchy egg products and have been dying to find a proper substitute. He ordered the eggs benedict ($10) and I order the eggs florentine ($10) and each got coffee ($2/each).

One minor complaint is that when we ordered our coffee they didn't bring any cream or milk out and after I asked for it, they brought a little thing of milk, which was fine, but then they brought a little bowl of empty creamer! WTF? The food came out and Dan's meal looked pretty standard but mine looked pretty different. I was expecting basically eggs benedict but with spinach instead of ham. But mine was baked in a baking dish and had 2 pieces of bread covered with cheesy spinach and 2 "poached" eggs. I don't understand how any restaurant, especially one that is practically empty, can't get poached eggs correctly. The eggs were completely over cooked. I like my poached eggs runny and these were almost cooked all the way through. The other bad part of my meal was that the bread was completely hard and I could barely cut through it. I ended up just not eating it.

The potatoes were flavorful but Dan's main complaint was that they were too big and that hash potatoes shouldn't require so much cutting. We agreed that the highlight of our meal was the side salad, which is never a good sign.

No comments: