Saturday, February 20, 2010

Prime Meats Visited 2/20/10 3 Forks

Prime Meats 465 Court St
(between 3rd Pl & 4th Pl), Brooklyn, NY 11231


Prime Meats has been very hyped due to the fact that it's owned by the same people as Frankie's. I tried to go a month ago and was told it was a 2 hour wait on a Friday at 9:30pm. This time, I went on a Saturday night @ 8pm, which obviously was no better. The host told me it was about a 2 hour wait and I just gave in. I gave him my cell # and Dan and I went and grabbed drinks at the Irish pub next door.

The wait ended up being a little over an hour instead. After sitting down, I totally understand why the wait is so long. The place is tiny! There must be about 10-15 seats total in the entire restaurant. It doesn't help that the bar is in the front and takes up half the restaurant, which makes the place overly crowded. I don't know what is up with this hipster, old school, Prohibition look, but Prime Meats also had it. Everyone wore vests, had many tattoos and had ironic mustaches. I'm so over that look.

I ordered the Apple Sazerac ($10) after finding out that the punch of the day was a Mai Thai. I was torn over what to order for my main meal. I was partial to the burger but I kind of feel like that's a cop out. So instead, I ordered the Sürkrüt Garnie (chouchrote garnie, slow cooked pork belly, Thuringian bratwurst, calf tongue & knackwurst served with house made sauerkraut ($16) and Dan ordered the burger with cheese and thick cut bacon ($13 for the burger and $4 extra for the cheese and bacon) and a pint of Oatmeal stout ($7). I was a bit hesitant about my meal but when I came out I was overwhelmed. There was so much food and lots of meat! I wish they had told me what was what on my plate b/c they all looked like meat to me and I was particularly curious as to which one was the calf tongue. But I was able to pick out the pork belly immediately and it was amazing. I think it's really really hard to get pork belly wrong. I also surprisingly loved the sauerkraut, it cut the fattiness of the meat well. But I could barely finish my plate and I am even regretting eating as much as I did. One of the meats just tasted like a hot dog and what I think was the calf tongue really just tasted like meat.

Dan's burger came out super rare, which is the way he actually like it and I had a bite and it was super delicious, but I'm not sure if it was worth $17. My drink turned out to be much stronger than I thought it was not very cocktail like. Instead it came out looking like straight whiskey in a small glass.

I was super curious about the meat plate that everyone was eating but I definitely could not have eaten more than I did. The name definitely speaks to how incredibly meat focused it is there, but I did see some veggie items. The host was very nice and apologetic for making us wait, and although I liked it, I'm not sure how worth the 1+ hour wait it was. Maybe 30-40 mins max. But definitely a great place if you are craving meat.

No comments: